Friday, July 23, 2010

Post race excitement

After my real introduction to the marvelous world of road racing I had officially been bitten by the bug. My competitive nature is rather fierce and I enjoyed everything about my experience so that was that. Olympics here I come! In reality I was planning to spend the month of June prepping for a 4th of July 4 miler. A rather large race, I knew that I would have to step up my game a tad just to finish (4 miles seemed long. Like a marathon.) I had a few interesting workouts on my way to reaching my next goal in life.

Saturday June 5: 3 miles, 26:33 pace of 8:51: Felt a post race "lack of legs" but wanted to get out and about again so took a slow and steady run. No ankle pain, but some discomfort in back of both legs. Very warm and humid weather but still felt pretty good throughout. Very slow pace by choice, and seems a good one as legs are much better and not worse the next day...

Sunday June 6th, 2010: 2 miles, 15:03 pace of 7:32: so I was all excited to go out and pound out a couple fast miles. It was cool and clammy-perfect for that sort of nonsense. But I felt crummy! Don't know if I started too fast, or if I should have taken today to just chill but it was rough. Impressed that my time was anywhere near this good... Def could not have kept at it for another mile. Gasping like a douchebag fish. Legs all lazy. BLAH!

Monday June 7th, 3.8 miles, 32:12 pace of 8:28: Today was the opposite of yesterday. I felt really blah about heading out to run and ended up having a really good one! Did distance over speed, and ran a route that was fairly rolling with one large hill. Legs feel good today (next day) although they were a touch sore last night. Breathing felt good, after the first .5 legs felt good too. Nice sunny, cool (66 degree) day.

Wednesday June 9, 3 miles, 24:22 pace of 8:07: This run was pure and horrible torment. I heaved thru the first MILE AND A HALF like a 300 pound walrus before my legs woke up. And even then, they felt like lead weights on the bottom of my body. At the 0.7 mile mark I wished for a bench to sit upon and to drink a beer.
**sigh** Regardless, I did it. I had a lot of excuses in my head as to why I sucked- "I am tired" "I hate my pink shorts" "I have been up since 4:30 for the past 2 days" Blah, blah, blah.

I have no idea why my time was still decent, if not great. Every mile felt like it took at least 17 minutes.

Ha, not all training runs go as planned.
My next post: A bit more training, unexpected outings, important lessons learned and my first 4 mile race since attempting to become an actual runner. Exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment