Friday, March 11, 2011

Another exciting week in my world...

Another week almost over!
The weather has been persnickety, typical for the Northeast at this time of year but not particularly desirable for much of anything that pertains to life.

Despite the delightful and never ending deluge of snow/sleet/rain/all of the above mixed with any of the above I managed to get in a couple decent workouts.

Tuesday I donned the dreadful Easter Egg like outfit and hit the surprisingly dry roads for a quick little 3 miler. No problems on this run, 3 miles seems to be easy for my still recovering left hip flexor (stupid thing...)

Wednesday I discovered that my normal 6 mile route was more or less under a floodplain, which had turned into a skating rink of terror. A trek across that would be sure to lead to a broken hip, concussion, or significant blood loss for for yours truly... Yes, my coordination is well known across the countryside. After a bit of consideration I settled upon running back to my house after executing a hay collection errand on the other side of the infamous hill. I don't think that many people appreciate the magnitude of hills in my little town, they really provide a certain element of excitement/horror that a treadmill is not capable of. While the route I chose bypassed the worst of them it still left me with a series of rolling and somewhat icy and still occasionally steep terrain. A definite challenge to my slightly shredded hip flexor.... Not sure if it was the constant incline, the inability to freely move my left leg after mile 3 or the occasional (read: constant) need to prance across icy death cookies but I was feeling a touch whipped before I reached the end. Not "OMG I'm going to stop, die, vomit and drop the eff bomb" whipped but plain old sucky "that kicked my trash" whipped. Not my best effort but a solid 6.2 of HILLS at a decent pace.
Thursday was a "rest" day- I had planned it and the ultra rotten weather confirmed that I had chosen the correct day to stay off the roads. Of course, the weather continues to labor along in a rather offensive manner which might spell trouble for my sprint to the gym later today... But we'll see, where I live if you don't like the weather this minute it will give you something else (unpleasant) the next minute... Delightfully diabolical!


11 comments:

  1. Spring is coming, spring is coming, spring is coming. Just keep repeating it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and before we know it, it'll be hot as blazes out there. stay safe on those treacherous roads till then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A solid hill run is something to be proud of. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I can't wait for spring! Just be careful out there in the mucky weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hill training is my least favorite.... ugh! Just thinking about it makes me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've decided that since my spring break starts today, so does the new season. Want to join me in this exercise in wishful thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your weather sounds a bit like ours the last few days! Yuck...
    Good job getting out there!

    BTW, take it from a 52 year old, 30 something is not middle aged ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not much longer :) It WILL happen! Spring will SPRING! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had awful weather, too. Hill training isn't something I purposely do, but everything around me is hilly, so I get that on every run.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wind chill of -24 today....YUCK! Solid ice EVERYWHERE. This makes me entirely too crabby:(

    Great job on the hills! Not always enjoyable but such great strength training for the legs!!!

    Hope the hip flexor continues to improve:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been catching up -- and I LOVED reading about the gym membership that wasn't. How RUDE. But, the story was hillarious. I needed something like that this morning.

    This past week in Louisville, we had two days that were 80 degrees + and then went back down to the high 30's/ low 40's on Thursday. BOO.

    ReplyDelete