Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Healthy Diet. NOT! Part 2: Thanksgiving Edition

Thanksgiving is almost here! In honor of my favorite activity (eating, for those of you not in the know) I'm going to dedicate this post to my food musings of the past couple weeks.

I wrote a post a little while ago on my concern over my lack of a well rounded diet and my ignorance of foods which are now trendy (chia seeds?). I got a lot of helpful responses to that post and also made a startling revelation (seriously, it was like a mystical light shining down into my brain!)

Despite being in a food rut I have a pretty darn healthy diet.

It has been years since I have eaten "fast food" as any sort of meal. I genuinely hate all food from the typical chain "restaurants" so this is no great leap of self control for me. Mickey Dees makes me vom a little in my mouth, and usually on my shoes later in the day. As much as I love candy, ice cream, pizza and donuts I do not eat them every day or in large quantities. I have a diet that encompasses all the food groups, except fruit which I always forget about. Fruit: you are not important to me!!

The middleaged huz and I have decided to go on a mission to try new things, especially if we don't think that we'll like them. Brussels sprouts and tofu being tops on the list. I have added a heaping helping of veggies to the weekly shopping list, and I have dutifully eaten a banana a day in my yogurt (my normal breakfast when I'm not shoving cheese danish down my face is vanilla greek yogurt with a handful of almonds- and now a banana.) I am trying to make a couple of meat free dinners a week much to the dismay of the huz who is a voracious carnivore. So far so good though, he hasn't declared shenanigans on my dinner prep skillzzz just yet. And he remembered how much he likes hummus so the world is a happy place.

The huz and I are skinny people. We don't need to loose weight (if either of us do we will no longer cast a shadow... really...) but I am not in any way pleased with the idea of unhealthy eating leading to piles and piles of plagues and strife down the road. I think a few little changes will help us to live to be old crabby married people. HAH! In addition, I am a big naysayer to the concept of eliminating any one thing from a diet. (unless it is something absurd, if I ate a big Mac every day eliminating that would be smart. Except I would eliminate it no problem, as has already been covered in this over sharing chapter of my life.) So we continue to drink beer, eat cashews, have a pizza occasionally and carry on like the norms. Whoot!

If anyone has inspired ideas regarding delightful preparations of the dreaded brussels sprouts (or tofu. polenta. brown rice.) I'll be happy to listen!

Happy Thanksgiving to all, I'm going to indulge in a 4 miler, a pound of pie and a big tall beer.... Ahhhhh!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the brussel sprouts, that's one thing I haven't been able to like.
    One thing I recently did to get some more veggies in was add green beans to my chili instead of noodles. It worked great, and I got in an extra serving of veggies.
    I think you're doing great with what you eat. You're aware, you don't deprive, and you don't eat garbage. Good for you

    ReplyDelete