Sunday, November 15, 2020

BOS to BHB Week 11, the Half K streak continues, and MORE summer

Last week was another good one. 
The unseasonably warm temps continued for much of the week. We enjoyed several days when it was well into the high 60's. It was warm enough, that I was able to run outdoors, after work, in shorts, in the RAIN one evening. WEIRD. 

However, all good things must end, and I believe fake summer is now behind us. The coming week looks ominous, with one day forecast not to get out of the 20's. HORRIBLE.

No problems at all from weird leg last week, and I was able to have 4 runs that were completely running. 6 coming in around 6.2-6.6 miles, and a 5 miler. I spent my two "rest days" run/walking on the treadmill, and managed to get one 6.25 brisk hike in over the weekend. 

My hiking friend!

The Half K challenge is about to reach the point of dire difficulty, in that it is hard to do your "rest day" when the activity calls for over 5 miles. I have never done a run streak before, and I am enjoying it! So far, no problems with the mileage, and I'm sure it's because a: it started easy, and b: I have been having 2 easy days. WE SHALL see how I feel a week from now. Not to mention two weeks from now......

This coming week could be interesting. Cold weather is going to be here (gross!) I definitely think that it is vastly easier to motivate myself to run in the warm than in the bone chilling cold. I am planning some birthday hiking miles, which I am looking forward to. AND, if weird leg continues to be perfect, I may even add in the worlds tiniest and slowest speed workout. There are not enough daylight hours, so I've been doing some pretty dark running (but I have the gear for it, if not always the cheerful attitude....)

Despite my much increased miles from a couple weeks ago, I only had a 10 placement improvement in the BOS to BHB challenge. The good news though, once again I was able to get in some "extra" miles, which means I'm currently 34 miles behind. I feel like I can make this up in the next month or so (and THEN, I just need to stay on track....) If I was prepping to go into Mid-December Boston training, I would feel pretty amazed by the fitness base I'm working on. I suppose, I can feel impressed about that no matter what! 

I changed shoes when I was fighting with dumb leg. I have been running in Hoka Clifton's for about 300 years (and I imagine that will continue at some point) but for whatever reason the leg hated the lovely soft ride that they give. Pretty stupid, in my opinion. I snagged a pair of Brooke's Ghost 12's on sale, and have actually really been enjoying them. I had a pair of older model Ghost's that I took for a few runs before making the big, crazy, $70 plunge and felt that the firmness was of benefit. FYI, for "normal" shoe people, I believe the Ghost 12 would be considered pretty damn cushioned by typical standards. After a Hoka, everything else feels firm! (but, the leg is now all better, and the Brooke's played a role in that!) 

Stats:
Miles run: 
Running, or Run Walking: 32
Hiking: 6.25
Total: 38.25
Warmest day: 69, coldest day 41
Place in Challenge on Sunday night: 220/570 Another 10 place improvement. Consistent. 


No comments:

Post a Comment