Monday, October 26, 2020

Week 8 of the BOS to BHB Challenge

Another decent week of "running" around here. My leg felt off on Monday- so I did a quick shoe swap which seemed to really help. 
(I have been running in Hoka Clifton's for years, I love them, and swear by them. But for now with the picky leg, they are just a touch too soft. So I busted out an old pair of Brooks Ghosts, and those feel just fine for what I am doing at the moment.)

Both Thursday and Friday ended up being days where I managed to complete my miles with no walking. Thursday was due to a coincidental mid-workout meeting with another runner. Once we confirmed a Covid free status, we spent the remainder of the run enjoying having another human outside our inner circles to talk to. Prior to 2020, athletic meet ups at races, and for training, were much more common! One forgets how nice it is to talk about training and races and random crap with other runners. STUPID 2020!!

I could feel the shin just a bit again after the two running days, so we (logically?) did a couple trail adventures. Making the most of short local hikes, and the last warm-ish days of the season. 

Autumn is here 

Despite completing the required miles for my challenge, I believe my standing remained the same. To bring up 2020 again, here is a good motto for the year: "Working hard, Going nowhere...." (While I do say that with a bit of a chuckle, I'm also saying it with a groan!)

In November Eric and I are going to participate in a challenge that one of our running friends is hosting. It is a "Half K a day" event, which sounds like a piece of cake, until you discover that you add a half K daily every day. All well and good, until the last week when it is basically 9 mile workouts for 7 days straight (pretty close anyway). YIKES! 

Aside from running things are pretty normal. My work is super busy (good! also, still working on balance...) Eric got a new job that he is excited about, so that is a very positive thing. We are healthy and managing to stay sane, and looking forward to no more political ads after next week. Also, we ended up having quite a good season of hiking. I didn't have the time to document every one here, which I am regretting. (I have actually found my hiking blog posts to be terribly useful when suggesting routs to friends) Either way, I believe we are down to the final 6 of the NH48. We haven't been in a hurry to finish that list, because we enjoy doing repeat hikes, hikes in Maine, etc, but I imagine we will wrap it up in 2021. 

And as far as the weather goes, it is fluctuating in the manner that it often does in Maine in October. 65 one day, 45 the next. From the looks of the extended forecast, we are basically in for about 10 days of cold and clammy- I don't see any high temps over 48 at this point. GROSS. 

Stats:
Miles run: 28.2 (about 2.5 done as hike)
Warmest day: 66 on Thursday
Place in Challenge on Sunday night: 265/569 (ok. so 2 places better than last week. I'm currently 47.78 miles behind where I should be.... slightly terrifying. Luckily, I have months to finish so I am hopeful I can regain ground. Also, in ridiculous news, no fewer than 6 people have already finished....) 

No comments:

Post a Comment