Monday, June 1, 2020

Pandemic week 11

So, since this is a running blog I shall first address the running issue....
As everyone knows, the Boston Marathon was cancelled last week.

So listen. I think BAA did this the best/only way that could be done. Everyone is getting a refund, we can use our 2020 Q times to try again for next year, and they are offering a virtual marathon this fall. Basically, best case scenario.
Not everyone is happy.
Lots of complaining. 

I just can't help but feel that there are bigger issues to deal with at the moment. Many, many issues. 
The terrible acts of racism in the past week (or years? like forever???) have me feeling the need to do more, learn more, speak up more. It is the epitome of white privilege to avoid conversations that deal with racial inequality. I recognize the privilege that I have, terribly unjust though it is. And I will use that privilege to speak out more clearly from here on out. Why does it take so many, and such obvious displays of racism to push people like me to take a stand, and become more educated? White privilege, that's what. Things are easy. And we like easy. BUT, I plan to do better, and to learn more, and not to ignore the words of hate that I sometimes hear, but to loudly speak against them. LOUDLY.

This is a running blog. People don't come here for social commentary, but I'm commenting anyway. Within my own group of friends and colleagues I have witnessed horrible, self righteous behavior pertaining to what is happening in the world right now. I have certainly discovered the people who have been hiding some horrendous hatred, and now feel that it is time to let their feelings be heard.  I'm sorry. You might be having a hard day as an upper/middle class white man, but FUCKER YOU DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING (and I'm a random white woman with privilege. I don't either. But I have god damn LOVE in my heart and I have to hope that counts for something. PLUS, I know I can be better.)

Black. Lives. Matter. 

Anyway. That's all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment