Monday, June 29, 2020

Week Two: B2B2B 624K Challenge

I'm pleased to report that I was able to get back on track with my mileage during the past week.

Because of the hot and muggy weather, and a really busy week at work, I did the unthinkable and arose at dawn to run.

It was muggy.


Soup
Muggy every day.

At least the sun peaked through the soup the next day
It was worth it though, as the after work afternoon hours were stifling. By Friday, I had run 35.9 miles, and was back in the game.
All of my runs were definitely "easy" efforts, as that is ALL I can manage at 5AM. I see no problem with this though, as easy miles equal no injuries.

We also managed a pretty spectacular hike on Sunday, crushing the Carter range and covering 14 plus miles.
The best thing about this hike (other than it is close by??) We saw ZERO people for the first 5 hours, and only 6 total for the final 2. Social distancing at its finest.

Finally, NOT SOUP
This week certainly established some clear frontrunners for the challenge, with a group of 10 or so throwing down a ton of mileage. Unless they basically give up and quit running, they seem to be dominating the top places.
The thing about this challenge, at least for someone like me, is that it actually is one! I can't recall the last time I ran weekly summer mileage of 30 miles. Sure, here and there most definitely. But 30 mile weeks for 3 months? Nope. And the thing is, you fall behind for a few weeks and catching up would be next thing to impossible. (this challenge needed to happen during Boston Training to make it easy for me, haha!)

The plan for the upcoming week?
A 30 mile week of easy runs. This will soon be "the norm!" As indicated last week, I still hope to "bank" some mileage for late July when I really will be critically busy. BUT, no need to wreck myself this early on and then have to drop out. So slow and steady wins the race (or, finishes. ideally not in the bottom 1/3 of the leaderboard!

Miles run: 35.9
Miles Hiked: 14.8B2B2B standing on Sunday night: 15/43
Hottest day: 89
Longest run: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment