Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Boston Training Week 13: the one when I'm really too busy to care about training!

Let's see, so last week... SUPER crazy. Certainly another week where, if I was not training for a marathon I only would have run once. I certainly am thanking the *pressure* of wishing to complete 26.2 for getting me out for some workouts!

But really though. Work is nuts. My volume may not have quite doubled from this week last year (I hate to exaggerate) but it is pretty damn close. Essentially, what that means is that my *leisure* time (aka, running) has more or less vanished! I need a few more hours in the day. Phew.

However, I got out there and got some decent runs in.

Tuesday was a pretty basic run, 6 miles late in the day, nothing particularly exciting.
I also made eclairs. Which were excellent.

Really eclair perfection
Wednesday was a really terrific weather day, about 50 degrees and the wind (which is almost constant here in the Spring) was pretty calm. Eric and I completed my last "big" workout pre-Boston, with 3x2 mile repeats at "close to" 7:30 pace. I believe that 7:36, 7:32 and 7:29 were the final pace calculations for our repeat miles. It was a job well done.
I also bought a beer, based solely on the fact that it had both horses and unicorns on the label. As it turns out, it was also quite good!

Tiny green unicorn for the win
I would have liked to fit in a few easy miles either Thursday or Friday, but this was certainly a time when running had to take a back seat. I had a pair of 12+ hour workdays, plus a family commitment. The absence of miles on these days made this a slightly lower mileage week than I would have liked to see, but my feeling is that I will not notice any difference in the long run!

Speaking of long runs. Saturday I did a solo long run (17 miles) as Eric was enjoying some Easter weekend time with his mom and extended family. For the first time this year I wore shorts, as it was a balmy 54 degrees and sunny. As is often the case, it was also quite windy (which made things feel less warm.) It is the time of year when the sun feels very intense, and after months of cold running it is shocking to have such a toasty day.

I had a solid run, zero issues, and finished up in a good pace to meet my homies at the pub.

ALONE! Where is ERIC??
I really have it down to a science. Change clothing, drink water, pound a blueberry/chocolate/banana protein shake, eat cheese, enjoy a beer with my friends.

Friends!
Sunday must have been a recovery run. Can't say I remember it, but it is safe to assume that it happened! It was also Easter/April fools day. Last year on April 1st, we got a foot of snow. We did not this year, it was quite nice out.

Much smaller snowbanks than in 2017

So, Boston is less than 2 weeks away and training is basically done. There is no denying the fact that (despite a mid winter marathon already completed) I am in much better shape that I was at this time last year. The variables basically boil down to two things. Will it be 70 degrees? Who knows, who cares. (I have already qualified for 2019 so, ZERO pressure. None. Not any at all.)
And, if it is a great weather day will I actually have the mental ambition to run another fast marathon,  having so recently run one (debatable.)
Under pressure (and fit) I tend to be able to justify the pain and suffering that arrives at some point during every marathon, and suck it up. It is less easy to do that when there is no need/pressure to do so.

THAT being said. I actually feel highly motivated to run the best I can, although slacking off sounds oh, so tempting...

My completely random/but somewhat educated guess on my finishing time is this: It will be warmer than I am used to (so I will drink more. but my random guessing is thinking 55, not 75) I will have a race similar to 2 years ago, plus at least 2 pee breaks (because the fibroid waits for no race finish line! plus, it will be warm so -extra drinking and peeing) So, with 2 minutes of pee breaks and 90 seconds of seeing my Dad and Fam at mile 18.8, I will finish in a 3:40. I will be very very pleased.

Eric guesses a 3:38, and he is predicting warm, but not extreme heat. (ideal!) I would be delighted with this time, and Eric is often quite good at guessing my finish times.

Miles Run: 37.4

Elevation this week: 1,513

Lowest low temp: Not cold enough to even remember. Pretty mild. 

Highest temp: 58 for about one minute, 54 during long run Saturday

Total snowfall: NONE

Coldest day that I ran outdoors: 34 so not even bad

Random fact: While *technically* this is week 13 of Boston training, I have actually been running with decent consistency for 22 weeks. While things were not exactly regimented until Mid December, I was still out there doing things with enthusiasm. 

Signature

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo you are ready to rock and roll. Typical New England weather right now, so yeah despite it being 20 and windy AF today, it could be so much warmer on marathon day (but my fingers are crossed for you and all the other runners for a 50 degree day). Looking forward to tracking you! I love you have your post-runs down to a science; I think I do fairly well with it either. Finish run at Whole Foods - pound a coconut water and protein shake. Quick shower, change, and go to the bar. :) - Kim K.

    ReplyDelete