Monday, March 26, 2018

Boston training week 12: the one where I get Boston Mail

For the first time in a few weeks, last week's weather did not involve a multi day snow storm. This is nothing short of a miracle, as March has been pretty aggressive this year.

However, Spring must be coming because I got my annual Boston Mail, which makes things feel very real and exciting. I will confess that I was probably the only runner in the history of ever who did not immediately Insta this piece of paperwork. Whoops. So, I will just post the pic right here at the top of the blog to make up for my indiscretion.

Yay! I'm going to Boston!!
The temps are NOT springlike yet. I do not mind running in the chilly weather, but I could make do with a bit less wind. Every year at this time, while running in 35 degree, 20 MPH wind, I reflect on how we are bound to get a brief Early Summer anytime soon. April 16th would be my best guess on that.
(for people who are getting sick of my doomsday weather predictions for Boston Marathon Day, just take a look at the weather history from 2012 on. The odds are stacked against us, and that's just the reality of the situation. Oh well.)

Last Monday I did several downhill repeats on the 1.6 mile route that I use for such activities. The elevation drop is remarkable, but runnable.
I made several changes to my Boston prep this year, and it seems that lengthy downhill training replaced the Bitch Hill (this does not break my heart!) Since I have not yet cracked the code on "how to run the Boston Marathon and not feel like a jackass" I have no issue trying new training techniques. (the year that I *finally* win the thing, I'll know I have it figured out! hahaha)

The final decent. 
Eric managed to catch a really horrible cold/virus on Tuesday but before it struck him full force he joined me on Wednesday for some mile repeats.

Sick husband 
One of my goals at the beginning of training was to see improvements in my speed in the shorter distances. Despite the rigors of having already tapered/marathoned/recovered, I continue to be pleased with how my speed work has developed. My mile repeats are at least 30 seconds faster then this time last year, and even faster then when I was training for Hartford in 2016 and felt more fit then I had ever been (however, it was extremely hot then and really ideal conditions now. Due to that, I would have to guess that it's a wash.) I'll take cold mile repeats over blistering hot ones ANY DAY. Give me some muddy snowbanks over humidity.

The muddy snowbank
I had a tired, but successful 20 on Saturday (after an easy 6 on Friday.) I have been very busy at work, to the point where if I was not marathon training I probably would not have run once last week. This is just part of life, and while I think it would be fun to have more time to focus on my hobby, I am extremely pleased that my business is ramping up.  When you are self employed it is pretty annoying to be asked "so..... when will things slow down so you can do more of x-y-z??" Hopefully never, as I wish to be able to meet my financial goals! The only way that I can write myself a paycheck is by working hard, and being available to my customers. So despite not having much time for myself (or anyone else, sorry) I feel really accomplished that I have created a sustainable and popular business! (and when I have paid off my business mortgage many years earlier than I had thought possible, I will never regret the choice to work hard and often!)

All that being said, I did manage to squeeze in that 20 at the end of a long Saturday, and the end of a long week (and hey! I work most Sundays too, so it wasn't over!) The weather was chilly but not bad at all, and Eric and I (shockingly) finished up at the pub.

We made it! Bear Bones sponsors my long runs, yet again. 
Of course, we met up with Lee and had some cheese and a beer.

Same pic different week (same hat!)
We also got to chill with Winston the bar dog, who (for the first time in his life, perhaps) was even more exhausted than I was. We basically sat on the floor together like "woof".

WINSTON <3 td="">
I had considered the possibility of getting downhill repeats back to their appointed day on Sunday, but it seemed like a dumb choice. So, I moseyed along for a nice recovery run at a 9:50 pace, as all recovery runs should be.

So overall, a really good week of training. This was the first time in 3 years that I did not run the Eastern States 20 on Sunday. I missed it, with a lovely course, no elevation (well, maybe 90 feet) and good people to run with, it has become a perennial favorite of mine.
After running Hyannis earlier this year, I really could not take another weekend off, or spend the money on another race. I decided to take a positive view on this, as my long run this week has a wonderful course profile similar to Boston which makes for great training. Nothing like a steady hill from mile 17-18.5 to get those legs ready for what's to come!

Miles Run: 48.3

Elevation this week: 1,645

Lowest low temp: Cold, but not as cold. I really can't remember but it was like 14 on Sunday?

Highest temp: 48 for exactly one minute when the sun came out once....

Total snowfall: A dusting on Saturday night. Basically, we finished our long run and a blizzaster blew in. 

Coldest day that I ran outdoors: I ran outdoors every running day. And it was not warm once. But it wasn't terrible either, I think it was no colder than 25 and no warmer than 39. 

Random fact: Eric and I both play Pokemon Go, and we take it pretty seriously. 

Signature

1 comment:

  1. Like what you are doing.
    Hopefully the weather won't screw you up so badly that you have no idea whether the changes made a difference
    That sounds negative but I mean it in a positive way. On the other hand it does embrace your bad weather theme.��

    ReplyDelete