Friday, March 23, 2018

Boston training week 11: the VERY TARDY edition

It is almost so late that I could easily combine last week's training log with this week's and save time.
But that seems like that lazy way out.
(So I'll write a crappy training journal blog post instead, lucky us! But FFS it is after 9:00PM on a Friday. This is the best I can do! And in a year, when I'm like "how was training in Mid March '18? I will be glad that I wrote this terrible entry...)

Last week, winter was still in full swing. 17 inch snow storm (shit) a return to single digit temps (CRAP!) and a long run done in 24 degrees and wind (it just means Boston will be 90, I am used to it.)

Aside from that nonsense, things were pretty decent on the training front.

Eric and I hit the road for some easy miles on Monday (which feels VERY long ago at this point.)

Easy day
Wednesday was supposed to be some 800's, but my lady parts were like "FUCK NO." I really can't argue with that, and so I put speed work off until Friday. I managed to do some pretty quick repeats successfully, if rather painfully, as my return to speed post Hyannis. It also snowed, A LOT. We got 15" overnight and then about 2-3" more. HELLO SECOND WINTER.

And it kept snowing 
Saturday was a quick 4 on the treadmill. Winter was being a terrible pain in the ass, and it was seriously 22 degrees with wind up to 45 MPH. I had been out in it all day at work, and was done with the bullshit!

Sunday was not much better, but a couple extra degrees and a wind reduction meant that running outdoors was far better than running 15 in the basement. Eric joined me for 10 of the miles and it was quite good, a good pace, no issues, and a nice finish at the pub.

The best way to finish a run
Only a couple more weeks of training until I taper AGAIN, for Boston. I am entirely pleased with the way the my legs have come back after Hyannis. This is a huge change from my last good marathon (Hartford, in 2016) when recovery was basically a nightmare. My legs feel strong and pain free, and don't feel burnt out, or ready to quit running forever. The outcome of Boston is so weather dependent, that I have few expectations. I am due to run a 20 tomorrow, and if I am actually back in good form this run will let me know.

Miles Run: 35.7 (but technically the downhill repeats that I did *this* week belonged in *last* week.(as in the week I just logged here)  So this  current week will look high, and this past week looks low. whatever.)

Elevation this week: 1,415

Lowest low temp: 9. Because why not. 

Highest temp: Fucking cold. Maybe 38 for a hot minute. 

Total snowfall: 17" WHY

Coldest day that I ran outdoors: 23 or some shit with high wind. 

Random fact: Despite all this bitching I really prefer winter running to summer running 

Signature

1 comment:

  1. I am hating my running life right now. This weather has been the pits, my recovery post-Hyannis blows, and I've been sick and angry about it. But I am totally with you, I absolutely HATE summer running. Your 20 miler looks to have gone well, so YAY! Almost taper time! - Kim K.

    ReplyDelete