Friday, April 20, 2018

Boston Marathon 2018: The one with the weather!

AND JUST LIKE THAT IT WAS MARATHON MONDAY!!!

We all awoke to the sounds or rain pitter pattering down. Or, coming down in wind driven buckets, if you want to know the truth.
I don't mind running in the bad weather, so I continued to be unconcerned. I got about my business of eating (starting with toast and coffee and water) and packing (everything) and then getting dressed.

You can't control the weather, but you certainly can control how much the weather can actually hit your body. I did not want this weather hitting my body at all. Who cares about looking *cute* in race pics, when hypothermia is lurking every time you pause to grab a cup of water!?

No thanks. I was thinking of capris (when the forecast called for temps in the high 40's) but Sarah sent me back in for full length tights. A very solid choice.
I had been keeping a close eye on the forecast, and as race morning approached the day was looking to be both wetter, winder and close to as cold as Hyannis. The big difference would be the lengthy wait in athlete's village, where in Hyannis we walked out of the warm hotel and started immediately.
I wasn't worried about the potential weather, but I was mindful of the potential challenges and hazards, and wanted to be prepared.
(as it turned out, the temp at the start was 33, and 39 at the finish. Basically Hyannis 2.0)

And prepared we both were!
We both got all dressed up. Nobody would be hitting the med tent today, damnit!!!

Dressed for Success
As we walked to the start we did things that all elite runners do. We live facebooked. We stopped for donuts. We laughed hysterically when the wind blew so hard that my umbrella turned inside out (0.2 miles into our walk to the busses.) The whole thing was a riot. I have never seen such ridiculous weather the morning of a marathon, but I certainly embraced it as a gigantic adventure.

OH NO, DOOM!!!
Sarah and I parted ways when she had to drop a bag of winter clothing for the finish, and I needed to skedaddle to get on my bus. (as it turned out, we were on the road at very similar times, as I found myself in a very long security line.) While I was wading through shoe deep puddles to get to the bag inspection check point, my Dad called. "I was just out for a walk" he said "AND IT WAS RAINING." I agreed with his observation, as it was raining so hard at that point that I could hardly hear him on the other end of the phone. We laughed and laughed, because it was just a bit too much!
My Dad planned to wander out to check on the elites as they ran by, and see if there were crowds in Newton. At that point, not so much!

Mile 18.5, shortly before the Elite runners arrived. Deserted. 
So, onto the bus I went. Where I immediately met someone who knew one of my Uncles. Small world interactions seem to be my thing while marathoning this year. I also ate a bacon and butter English muffin, which was delicious, and I had some water. #hydration
I arrived at Athlete's village to find standing water, piles of snow, and impressive mud. There seemed to be more tents this year, which was smart. There were a few people complaining about how "I spent so much money on this and expect better, blah blah" (overall though, this was the only complaining that I witnessed) but I went and found some fun people sitting on a pallet under a half collapsed gatorade tent. They were a realistic group, who seemed to understand that (while they are good) the BAA doesn't actually have control over the weather. We all had a good chuckle, as we struggled to put on dry socks and such while avoiding taking a dive into the mud.
(then a volunteer came over and yelled at us because he thought we had knocked the tent down. We were like  .....nope, it was the 40 mph wind....." sorry.....?)


Athlete's village, at its finest

I can't really put into words how much of a struggle it was to get race ready while I was preparing to get into my corral. (while it was sleeting heavily, very heavily.) (also, FIRST WORLD problems!!)  I was attempting to remove my snow pants, while staying under the cover of my giant poncho. I was also attempting to transfer the items from my sloth fanny pack, into the pockets of my innermost layer for safe keeping. My innermost layer happened to be about 3 layers down. And I was operating blind, because of the giant, blowing poncho. The whole scene must have looked truly ridiculous! BUT! Because of my amazing layering system I started the race warm, dry, and happy. Oh, and I also ate a whole PB&J while doing the weird "changing under a plastic poncho" dance.
There was a woman standing beside me while I struggled out of my gear. She was in a singlet and shorts, and was violently shivering. I offered her my discarded items, which she refused. She appeared to be absolutely miserable, and the sight of her discomfort made me glad that I had layered up. (and sad that she would not take my coat, I tried to insist that she take it but she wanted nothing to do with me. And since I looked like a crazy bag lady, her reaction was probably legit.)

I began the race with a plan to run a 3:40, which I thought might be ambitious since it was a day with a truly incredible headwind. However, I felt really confident in my abilities to run in sub par conditions, and I had a solid attack plan.
So off I went.

It barely even looks windy here. It was.
And it was pouring.
There was a lot of water falling from the sky. I wear glasses. I try to keep them kinda dry, since being able to see is a real perk. I was wearing a brimmed hat (with an attractive winter hat over it) which usually keeps the precipitation off my face. Due to the wind, there was shit flying everywhere so I took to studiously studying the yellow line of the road in an attempt to shield my face. (that is all I saw, the whole way to Boston!)

Right before mile 1, I pulled off the road and removed all my "final" layers. Good bye poncho, good bye sweatshirt, see ya ugly purple yoga pants. (and pro tip here: discarding layers to the SIDE of the road is courteous to other runners, respectful of the town you are running through- as volunteers at the aid stations can easily rake them up- and generally good race etiquette. Later in this you will see a pic of Hereford St coated in discarded clothing which is pretty sloppy. (I think we are better than that!!)

Anyway. I was down to my race kit (2 hats, long sleeve shirt, vest, full tights, huge gloves) and ready to roll. I felt good and running was pleasant. It was raining very hard but once you are soaked you can't really get wetter, so it was all good. Oh, and it was windy. But it is always windy in Maine so I tried to keep up a good attitude about the situation. I ran through the 10k in just over 50 minutes, which I was very happy with.

At mile 8 I scooted into a potty for a pee break (it was so nice and dry! I thought about procrastinating a bit, but porta potties are gross) At this time, I left my soaked gloves, dried my hands, put on a fresh pair of gloves (that I had carried in a baggie in my pocket) and dropped hand warmers into them. Refreshed, I ventured back into the storm and zipped along. Part of my attack plan was staying warm enough to be able to successfully eat a syrup packet every 5 miles. Thus far, the plan was working. (and continued to, even though my hands were uselessly cold at times.)

At the half way point (where I died and began to walk last year) all systems were good. My hands were again soaked, and beginning to freeze but there's nothing that can be done about that. Due to my layering system, my core was nice and warm, and as long as that stays warm, it's all good. My 13.1 split was 1:47:27 which was great, especially since I wasn't sure how much my stops had impacted my goal time (not at all.)

Typically between the half and where I see my Dad, and family (at mile 18.5) I hit a low spot. For whatever reason, I did not this year. It could be because after having a pretty gross race last year, everything felt easier! (the weather certainly was more in my favor this time, no doubt.) Also, I could only stare blindly at the road in front of me (it was REALLY coming down at this point!) so I missed more than half of the mile markers.
The miles were really flying by. Things were feeling steady, and controlled.
Right about this time, my Dad sent me a pic of the eventual male winner....

Good shot, Lee
There's a huge, huge downhill somewhere after mile 15 which can indicate how your quads are holding up. I motored down the thing, thanking my downhill workouts all the while! (spoiler: my quads were in excellent form for this race. this is the only time that I have ever run Boston and NOT felt like an asshole after the Newton Hills. Apparently, downhill reps are the key.) (as is a cold day.)

As is normal, I made up some songs. I was pretty hungry, and really disgustingly wet at this point which inspired my version of "My Favorite Things"

"Dreams of hot showers, and fresh ramen noodles,
my cozy slippers and warm snickerdoodles.....
a finish, no matter what the weather brings,
These are a few of MY DAMN FAVORITE THINGS!!!
When it's POURING!
And it's SLEETING!
I'm not feeling MAD!
I remember crap weather's my favorite thing!!
And then I don't feeeeeeel soooooooo BAD!!"
*truly the next Rodgers and Hammerstein right here, nbd*

Right on schedule at mile 18.5 I found my Dad, Aunt, Uncle and Cousin.

Pit crew!! So many umbrellas!!
 We did an outrageous two minute clothing change/addition (thank the lord that I will never be an elite. I need to be able to get help from the spectators!!)

I clearly found the whole event quite hysterical! Also, look at the RAIN!!
Freshly armed with new gloves, new handwarmers, arm sleeves and a good wringing out off I went again! (and under the protection of 3 umbrellas, I was able to avoid a very significant downpour!) Thank heavens for family and their preparedness!!
I also learned that Desi had won, and I was so happy! I wish I had put money on it, because as soon as I knew it was going to be a garbage weather day I called her to win it. She's such a great tactical runner, and it was a day for strategy.

And THEN, filled with confidence, I fucking motored my way to Boston.

OMG THE RAIN!!! Two hats, still on. 
I love having a good performance at this race. I know how easily your cheese can slide off your cracker in a marathon, and Jesus Christ am I GLAD when it doesn't slide off mine.
The damn miles FLEW by and I never got tired, or pissed off, or anything. It was fabulous (and wet)

I really enjoy running in the shit. I had a GREAT time.

So, after charging (unseeing) past all the quintessential Boston landmarks, high fiving Danielle at mile 25, and leaping over everyone's discarded damn clothing on Hereford I flew through the finish in 3:37:37. GO ME!

"Right, onto the street of discarded clothing...." *not my pic btw*
I attempted a joyful fist pump, but since my arms were frozen solid, I looked more like I was trying to fight someone. (with weird little hands, that were in fists due to #winter...)

DONE!!!!
I looked around and everyone seemed really cold, which made me nervous. It is a long, long way to the "B" meeting area (and 1.5 more miles to the Airbnb) and I continued to be uninterested in the hypothermia. (and I was beyond wet, just beyond) It was VERY cold-temps never got above the low 40's and the wind was silly.
So, after gathering my medal and heat sheet I did what any sensible human would do.

I. Kept. Running.

All the way to the meeting area I ran, straight into my family, and into a winter coat and MORE new gloves!!!! It was a wonderful moment and I was SO happy to see everyone! Eric, my Aunt Annie and Uncle Bill and Eric's cousin were all there to see me, and it was so fun! (they are brave/possibly crazy.)
Clearly a nice day
Despite the continued deluge, I was pretty happy.

So happy!!
Everyone hustled me back to the Airbnb as quick as we could go. My lips got pretty blue, but it was ok. Off with the frozen clothes, into a hot shower, and I was good to go!
Well, I think I was in the hot shower for a good half hour before I thawed. Best shower of my entire existence.
(and then I got out and ate all 4 of the King's Hawaiian buns that you get in the post race food bag. I love those things.)

THEN. Eric and I looked at the clock. It was 4:08. SHIT! Sarah was expected to finish just moments later, and there was NO way we would be able to get back to her through the crowds.
We did the next best thing, and watched her finish on live stream which was AMAZING!!!! So proud. She definitely is the MVP of the whole weekend!
And THEN I texted her to advise her to not be stubborn, and to Uber her way back (which she did, smart woman!)
As soon as she got back (and was undressed and showered in a manner similar to myself) we all collapsed into piles of joy about the day, and the rehashing and storytelling began.
And Danielle came over too!!!

Telling stories and taking pics to prove we were all there
The best part of any marathon is hearing everyone's stories, and after such a crazy day it was especially delightful.
We watched Desi's finish no fewer than 400 times.
We sprinted across the street in a complete deluge, for potato nachos and burgers.
We flopped back onto the couch, and continued the storytelling. And at about 9:00 got hungry again and had ice cream sundaes DELIVERED which was clutch. So amazing. What a day!

We also contemplated how much our sopping wet race clothing weighed.
I'm not sure what Sarah's sack weighed, but mine came to a cool 5.6 pounds (not counting shoes.)

Bag lady
There is NO way that any of us will forget this particular Marathon Monday. The weather was colder than it has been in 30 years. It was really, truly, a completely and utterly disgusting AND TOTALLY AMAZING day.

I would say it is official at this point. I am a runner who appears to thrive in cold, wet, challenging conditions. While it was not my fastest marathon, I have complete confidence that it was one of my best, if not my best. No pain, no exhaustion, no hitting a wall, no GI distress. AND, technically this was still a BQ race (although by a slim margin, but since I am already "in" for 2019, no worries.)

As always, a highlight was seeing friends and cheering them on. It was especially fun to share a living space with Sarah and family, Eric and I really enjoyed this and hope to for a repeat next year (when Sarah and Danielle claim to be spectating only... we shall see!)

There is NO way that I could do this without the support of my family and friends (running is a pretty time consuming and self indulgent sport, and would be next to impossible without an encouraging spouse/family.)
Eric was by my side for almost every long run and speed work session all season. This really took marathon training to a much more enjoyable place for me, as we had some hysterical conversations while running to the pub. We also had my cousin Evan join in for some mid winter training which was super.
Oh, and running to the pub (ahem: Bear Bones in Bridgton = quality marathon training beer) was a really fabulous and intelligent addition to the training routine. Why bother if it's not fun, right?
Both of my parents are huge supporters, my mom keeps me fed, and my Dad makes the trek to the race to see me for 90 seconds and bring me extra clothing!
My extended family is so wonderful, while it wasn't a great year to be a spectator I so appreciated everyones support. Whether you were there in person, or in spirit with texts and messages I was thinking of all of you along my way to the finish.

See you in 2019 Boston....

The conclusion of Duck Camp 2018


Signature

4 comments:

  1. Love the recap and good for you to make something of a miserable day! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this recap Sara! And the pictures (the one where you are changing your clothes = amazing)! And your attitude! Oh, I just love all of this. You are a rockstar. Congrats! Hope the beer has been flowing ever since :) -Kim K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work! I think you're the only runner I wasn't worried about during this race. Kudos too to your excellent support crew. I know quite a few people who would have sold their souls right then and there for a change of gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got chills (the good kind) reading your race recap. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete