Monday, April 30, 2018

Boston recovery week 2: the one with actual recovery

After being super sick last week, I was thankful to be feeling much better this week. I still had a lingering cough (and some tiredness) but was considerably better than I had been!

Eric and I moseyed out for the first bike ride of the year on Monday. It was in the mid 60's which felt downright toasty. I was a bit unprepared, as the helmet that I wore last year was finally declared unfit for use (it was olddddd.) Eric gave me his mountain bike helmet to wear, and I felt like a complete douchebag!
I complained enough to prompt Eric to order me up my own sparkling new ROAD bike helmet, which I am super excited about and plan to use often!

Absurd
After our Monday ride, I continued to NOT work out. I really did a good job avoiding running.

On Saturday we ventured out for a pub run!
It was 70, the warmest say of the year thus far.

Before we started! 
Eric has been battling a sinus infection for over a month, and he was feeling pretty terrible. (pleased to say, that as of today he is finally making some headway.) It was my first run since Boston and I was just shit! My legs were shit, my lungs were burning and disgusting, and my stomach was junk!
Luckily, the weather was nice enough to distract from the torment.

All done, thank the Lord
I had to pass on the pub run (well, bike) last week because I was too sick for public appearances. (I am super conscious of NOT spreading my germs!) So I was happy to be back at Bear Bones, drinking a Triple Cream like a normal person!

A nice day at the pub
So recovery is now over, and I can do whatever I want!
Last year, after running the Providence marathon I (first) collapsed into a heap of uselessness, and (second) decided to run every hill in my town (I think I got all except the ones that don't even count.)

So what stupid things shall I do now?

1: Run a low key 60 mile week. This is something I wanted to do last year, but I waited too long after marathon season and wasn't fit enough. I plan to do this using lazy miles, probably to the pub, with zero actual workouts involved. While part of my brain thinks this is a weird thing to do, it's no more weird than anything else I have ever done! *I plan to do this SOON before I lose my fitness*

2: At some point this spring or summer, set a single ride mileage PR on my bike. I believe this will be anything over 30 or 35 miles. I will check.

3: Hike!!! Eric, Lee (and probably my cousin Evan because he is always up for mountains) will be climbing a couple mountains this summer. (Eric, Evan and I will do the Presidential Traverse someday. We shall NOT be running this, much to Evan's dismay!)

4: Run a decent 5k. Or, conversely, a decent "short" (5k-10k distance) race. This might be a fall goal, I can't imagine that speed work will be of interest to me this summer. #lazy

5: Run all 3 of the Bradbury Races and become a legit, sweatshirt awarded, badass!

6: Duathlons are hard to find (and vanishing) but I would really enjoy participating in another one. Perhaps not as my first time on a bike in 4 years (like last year...)

7: Once school is out (because I teach too late to join in until then) hit up the Wednesday night Green Machine bike rides. I'm totally going to be in the 12mph group for a while, but I don't give af.

So, that's it for now! Happy to be feeling better and getting back to my normal routine.

oh.... and it appears that summer is gonna be here FULL fucking force next week. Son of a.....

Wednesday is a little extra...

Stats:
Miles run- SEVEN
Elevation- 389 feet SO EXTREME
Bike miles- 12 (and I was legit tired after. so sick)
Warmest day- 70
Coldest day- (it's spring now, so this is the last week of this nonsense) It was 40 one morning.


Signature


2 comments:

  1. Every summer I promise myself a decent 5k...that hasn't happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it is gross to run so fast when it is 90 out! (that's what I tell myself, anyways...)

      Delete