Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Summer goal #1: Low key 60 mile week

Last week, feeling fully recovered, I ventured out to run my first (last?) 60 mile week.

"WHY?" A sane person might ask! (logical query)

Last year, after slogging through Boston and Slopping through Providence, I thought it might be fun to run a high mileage week, while still fit, just to see if I could. Could I? Who knows!
But.... I did not do it, and instead became delightfully lazy and decided that anything over 4 miles was crap. I had some donuts. Rolled around a bit, as one does.
Or....
I actually ran up every hill in Waterford just for shits and giggles. Apparently, after marathon season is over, I like to play and have fun in ways that a non runner might see as torture.

My EPIC QUEST began last Monday, when Eric and I went out for the Final Winter Run (it was cold and wet. the end of it, from the looks of things.)
We were taking about my proposed 60 mile week, and when it would take place. In the midst of our run, it dawned upon me that if I did not pull it off last week I would really need to take time to have a short rebuilding cycle before making an attempt (because this week and next are a silly silly shit show, and I might run 5 miles. bye fitness)
Ain't nobody got time to rebuild for a lame personal challenge.

So.... After running a WHOPPING 4 mile Monday, it was on. ON, I TELL YOU, ON!

4 miles, last day of winter
This isn't the kind of crapola that I would pull during Marathon training. I don't tend to randomly run huge mileage while training for goal races, because getting grievously injured is not on my agenda.
**this being said. I have recently discovered that I am a *terrible* Instagram runner. Apparently, one SHOULD arbitrarily run high mileage before a big race. become grievously injured. continue to run because #headpats #sponsors #why??. become diagnosed with legit injury. and then RACE....???? #sobrave #muchelite #fuckno**

NOPE. HELL NOPE.
People: do not follow the example of Insta runners. FFS.

Anyway, moving on.

I decided that all my runs would be, essentially, junk miles. No workouts, no long (LONG) runs, no massive mountains, no crazy crazy crap. Just the most basic, low key 60 miles that you could ever hope for.

So, after the worryingly low mileage start to the week, I ran 10ish miles on Tuesday to meet Eric at the track. He was doing a legit workout, and we timed it perfectly to run .25 together and take a selfie. Duh. (and another reason that I fail as an Instarunner: I did not post a daily selfie with a motivational saying!!! Shit.)
It was a lovely day, 62 degrees which felt toasty compared to the previous day, and it was a good (and hilly) adventure.

Run to the track. 
Wednesday was SO HOT!


Summer roared in and I was like "woah homie, ease back!" It was 87 degrees, but dry heat. Dry heat is NOT something that Maine does, we like it dripping, humid and dank. Thus, despite the heat I was able to have a very pleasant 11ish mile run to meet Eric at the bike shop, after the Wednesday group ride. Dry heat is, apparently, something I can live with.
There is a 1.5 mile stretch by the lake that was infested with mayflies like I have never seen. It was like something out of a horror movie. BUGS EVERYWHERE. NO GOOD.
Eric and I had to go to the pub to recover from the buggy disaster of doom.

Beer helps us to forget the hawk sized bugs
Thursday was a more typical Maine "summer" day. 72 and soggy.
I ran 11 more miles, over hill and dale to meet Eric on his way home from work.
Apparently, I preferred the point to point run during this particular event. I like being able to see as many things as possible while I run, and this plan really maximized the sights that I could take in.
This wasn't my favorite run because there were quite a few scary dogs running about, I much prefer an abundance of mayflies to extremely intimidating dogs. Also, apparently people in these parts drink a lot of fireball nips while driving, and toss the tiny bottles out onto the road. This is not a good habit, peeps.

We should be car drinking fireball. EXCEPT NOT.
Friday.... Oh, that was my easy day. My legs were feeling tired, but generally fine. Clearly, if at any time during the week I felt any premonition of injury, I was going to bail HARD. However, all was well.
I pottered around my own stomping grounds, and ran 6ish miles at a 10 minute pace, just to kick back and chill. I did some good thinking. Profound stuff. (I thought about Harry Potter the whole time. Well, mostly I thought about Hermione and how she really is the hero, but we all know that.)

Boring, solo run
Saturday was pub run day, duh.
It was a stunning summer day, 73 degrees, dry, freakishly windy and blazing sun.
I felt especially good on this run, enjoyed being on my normal route, was pleased with the lack of both terror dogs, and lake bugs, and I had a quite nice day.

This photo was brought to you by Eric's sweet helmet
Eric biked over (#lame) and we met my Dad for a beer, a decorative nut covered cheese ball, and 13.1 more miles. (clearly winning the Half Marathons around here!)

Winning
It was a busy weekend, and I definitely had a lot of options. I could have snagged some miles at a 5k (and checked "semi-fast 5k" off my summer list!) or, I could have taken another shot at a duathlon (another summer goal to mark off, along with what *could* have been the continuation of my streak of duathloning with ZERO bike practice.)
However. Logic and reason told me to hold back, and finish up my miles here at home, in a mellow way (especially after running around like a fool all weekend, plus actually RUNNING around like a fool...)
So, I wrapped up my 60 mile week in an easy way, with 4 miles here at home, with Eric.

DONE DONE DONE 
How did this make me feel.
SO BLESSED!
Ummmm. Or fine? Sweaty? Sick of doing laundry daily?

Really, here is my takeaway message.

-Don't run a 60 mile week unless you already have a solid fitness base (like some years of distance running.) I have a lot of years of 45-55 mile weeks under my belt, so this was not a complete shock to my bod. I can't recommend this if you aren't already hitting some mileage, but that goes without saying.

-Prepare not to get anything else done. Work, run, laundry, beer, eat, sleep.
(actually. this sounds like a pretty ideal routine to me!)

-I can not speak to the actual benefits, or lack thereof that this had on my overall "training" because my training cycle is done and dusted. I was tired on Sunday, for sure, but I had no pain, or suffering, or anything that would make for a better story.

-Will I now consider making 60 mile weeks a regular part of my training? I can't see a reason to, unless I decide that I significantly want to lower my PR. I can run a 3:30 on 45 mile weeks, and I have a 60 hour a week job and shit, so probably not. (and yeah, I know a *training* 60 would have a workout or two, and a long. not just 10 mile junk runs.)

-Was it fun?? Yes, yes it was. I really enjoyed looking around and seeing Spring arrive (and bugs. and dogs. and fireball nips...) I like running. And I need new shoes now....
BUT ALSO, THERE WAS SO MUCH LAUNDRY!!! And that is NOT fun!!

-I threw down some "self care" that I completely avoid with my more typical 45 mile weeks. Ice, just for fun. Stretching. Foam rolling. I am such a good little athlete!

-I might do this again someday.

Stats:
Miles run: SIXTY, BITCHES!
Elevation: 3,252
My placement in my Strava running club: 4th!! I'm never 4th!! (also, follow me on Strava. Strava is the best.)
Hottest day: 88 wtf summer, coming in aggressive


Signature

2 comments:

  1. IG runners, man. They do some dumb things.
    I was a 4o-45 mile runner for a few years, but I've scooted into the 50's and 60's the older I've gotten. It just takes more miles for me now. Mainly, I need long warm ups and cool downs to be able to get the speed I need in the workout and not get injured afterward - something not necessary for younger me. Those create enough extra miles to mean that I'll go over 60 regularly in marathon training, and be in the 50's if I'm not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes complete sense! Warmup is so key, I used to be able to run repeats well after a 10 minute warmup and now I really prefer twice that much time. I'd much rather ease into it. And I found that 60 was doable. Now, how people run 100 mile weeks is beyond me!

      Delete