Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Running, Horse showing, making ugly looking food, and more!

Somehow I managed to fit in 40 miles last week, even though I had a ton of work stuff going on.

On Monday I took my first run in a long while over the infamous Bitch Hill. It was a glorious Spring day, and even though it was hilly (some things never change) I had a really nice outing.

Always pretty
I also found a tiny Robin's egg that had blown out of its nest. It was been SUCH a windy Spring around here. We always have a windy April, but May has continued to be so blustery. 

Sorry little egg
Once I got home, Eric and I made 5 batches of pesto from the kale and basil that my Dad grows in his indoor garden. I can't imagine how much that much basil would have cost me in real life, so this is one of my favorite activities (is making pesto an activity? I guess it is.)

Batch 1 of 5, and about $100 worth of basil

On Wednesday I ran across town to meet Eric in Norway after he finished up the Green Machine group ride. It was a really, REALLY, fantastic weather day (temps the low 60's, sun, and breeze. perfect.) I should have stayed home and worked on household projects, but it was far too pleasant of a night to pass up running.

Super athletic power couple
While I fully intended to run on Thursday, life seemed to have other plans for me and I decided to peace out on the whole plan. Honestly, even when I am marathon training there are some days when staying home payoff more than a run!

On Friday, I ran some quality junk miles in a new pair of shoes. I am trying to wait for the Hoka Clifton 4's (not sure when they are coming...) And the Brooks Ghost 10's seem to be ok. Not Hoka level good, but I got a good deal on themes that makes me feel positive!

New. 
Eric and I have been trying to expand out breakfast food horizons lately. We need something quick and easy in the mornings, and toast with PB&Honey almost always does the trick. We recently tried the Muesli (basically, overnight oats) from the Run Fast, Eat Slow cookbook. The final step to these oats, is to add a grated apple. This step made them almost inedible to me, as they looked like cat puke (Eric said they looked like tuna... still not good.) and the texture was exactly what you would expect from cold oats with a grated apple added. *barf* However, they tasted great.
I made them again, without the weirdly offensive apple, with excellent results. They still look gross, but it is a gross level that I can handle!

Slightly gross looking breakfast
On Saturday, we had some pretty ideal marathon weather. It was in the upper 50's, drizzley, and quite windy.
I DID NOT run a marathon, but I did run abut 13 miles to the pub. I met Lee and Eric there, and we had pizza and talked about the Royal Wedding (I secretly love Royal Weddings!)

Sharing tiny beers!
On Sunday, I had a horse show outing with my little one which took up the whole day. I wasn't planning to run at all, but decided to head out for a couple very easy miles when I got home. The weather all day had been muggy and damp, but as things dried out I definitely felt like getting (back) outdoors! I really mean it when I say "short" run. It was just over 2 miles, so nothing tricky!

Baby horse at the show!
Next week (well, this week at this point) is probably going to be a little lower in mileage. I am considering possible "race" options for Sunday (since I actually have most of the day off) but this plan is still completely up in the air. So we shall see!

Stats:
Miles run: 40.2
Elevation: 2,178
My placement in my Strava running club: I had to go check, because I am no used to this being something I care about. But 14th. That seems good!
Hottest day: Gross humid upper 70's on Sunday


Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment