Sunday, July 26, 2020

Owl's Head: July 25th 2020

We live in the age of Instagram. 
Activities can only be considered successful, and interesting if there is a pretty (and perhaps heavily filtered) photo to prove your accomplishment. 

As I contemplated the many (many) complaints that I had heard about hiking Owl's Head, the biggest complaint was certainly the lack of splendor. 
No photo ops. 
No magnificent summit to pose on with friends and family. 
No bang for your buck. 

Listen. I'm not about to get all profound. But I really do not believe that success is measured in instagram likes. You can enjoy something without the carefully curated photo op.  
(and you can also enjoy the bejeebus out of sharing your adventures! Heaven knows I do. But I live for the adventure, not for the likes....)

That being said. Go like the hell out of our new YouTube Channel!! Give us SO MANY LIKES (I'm such a study in contrasts!)
Here is the progression: Our YouTube skills progress from BAD, to OK and we hope to get to DECENT. (but don't hold your breath.)

Anyway.
As we embarked on out quest to tag Owl's Head early on the morning of July 26th, I was fully prepared to suffer. I doubted that I would hate the hike, as I tend to enjoy the oddball adventures. But, I had my doubts about liking it at all.  Mostly, the things on my mind were my concerns about the potential tackling of our first bushwhack (more on that later) and my hopes that the water level readings I was seeing were correct . My biggest fear regarding this hike was NOT the low value summit, but coming to the first river crossing and having my dog swept away by the current. Luckily, it's easy enough to get the info you need about such things, and I was cautiously optimistic.

We arrived at the Lincoln Woods Trailhead before 5:30AM to find it jam packed full. We easily found road parking about 0.25 miles away, but knew it was bound to be a busy day. 

Our hike began as we knew it would, on the bone flat Lincoln Woods Trail. 

I mean.... How can you be mad about this?? #easy

At mile 2.8 we took a left onto the Black Pond Trail. I had researched the Black Pond Bushwack, and knew it would cut a bit of mileage off the hike (plus 2 major crossings and some odds-and-ends stream crossings) Armed with knowledge, the Gaia app locked and loaded, and a map and compass (although a map isn't terribly useful in this situation) we proceeded on a pretty obvious herd path. 

Which promptly vanished into the woods. 
Feeling 100% uneasy about this (even with Gaia in hand) we bailed and got the hell out. No point in flapping around in the woods all day. 
I'm not going to lie. The detour was worth it, as it was lovely. 
And it was also good to bail. If your gut tells you no, listen. 


OK. So with and extra 2 miles already in hand, we were officially off. 

I highly recommend sticking to the standard route (Lincoln Woods, Franconia Brook Trail, Lincoln Brook Trail, Owl's Head Trail) as you can totally zone out and go into autopilot.

So. It's really as easy as that. Take the bone flat super highways of Lincoln Woods and Franconia Brook. (there are a couple baby crossings on Franconia Brook) Bang a left onto Lincoln Brook. Shortly, you will hit the major river crossing (this is the one to worry about in high water, for sure.)

Big, wide river. No shoes required. 

While there are a few pointless ups and downs on this Lincoln Brook Trail, it is still extremely straightforward. After your second "real" river crossing, you will see where the Black Pond Bushwhack comes out on the left. I can see the reason of the popularity behind this *trail*. You do avoid two of the big crossings, including what is clearly the most daunting. (even though it was a low water day, we needed to wade across in shin deep water. very pleasant, it was hot.)

You spend 3.4 total miles on Lincoln Brook trail before coming to the "trail head" for Owl's Head. 
There is no sign.
On this day, there were two obvious rock cairns on the right, to mark this turn. 

Don't blink. Trail head.

Because I was keeping an eye open for them, they seemed obvious. However, 50% of the people we later met said they blew right past them (the mileage on my GPS measured the trailhead at 3.3 miles- but I do not trust devices 100% in such thick woods.) 

From there, yes. You go straight up. You gain like, 1500 feet in one mile. 

While it is a grind, it's not awful. It's a cross between Hancock and Flume slide. We all enjoyed it, if you want to know the truth. Plus, you FINALLY get your instagram photo!! (I took one! Believe me, I am not above the insta!)

INSTAGRAM PIC

You are NOT "there" once you reach the top of the slide. You wind, and wind, and wind through the lovely woods for about .25 before you find an unassuming cairn which marks the top. 

Summit

As we made our way through the final .10 of the trail, we crossed paths with another hiker. "Did you love the epic summit?" I asked him. He laughed and said "Getting to the top of this mountain is epic enough."

That. Is. Correct. 

We did take the Brutus Bushwhack on the way down (at the BIG boulder- take a left. It is indeed a herd path and completely bypasses the slide.) 

From there, we happily retraced our steps and reentered the CHAOS of humanity once we reached Lincoln Wood Trail. THRONGS of people. (we saw fewer than a dozen people heading to Owl's head. Then at least 100 in the final mile.)
Honestly, it's weird being alone in the wilderness all day, and then return to the screaming mayhem of people (who apparently think that being outdoors excuses all kinds of bad behavior....?)

DONE

We checked back on at our car 9:50 from when we began, and the insane traffic was just too much, so off we went. 

This is one that I'm glad to have been able to check off the list. You really do need decent day to do this one- I would NOT suggest heading out after major rain, if there are storms in the forecast, or in the early spring when snow melt is an issue. 

You can easily find water data Here
People who I have talked to say that the crossings are difficult for humans when the levels are above 200, and not recommended for dogs until they are 50/60 (it was about 150 the day we went- and we all felt very, very comfortable.) 

One more word of wisdom. 
If you plan to hike ANY trails get a map, learn to use them. Get the White Mountain Guide, read it. Use internet groups to assist, but be responsible for educating yourself. If you choose to use your phone for any type of navigation, prepare for it to die and have a back up plan. (and pack your damn 10 essentials!!)

All 3 of us were pretty worn out after this adventure, but I'm feeling satisfied with the whole experience. Yes, it is a long way to walk for a 4025' hill. But getting to the summit is always half- or 99.9% of the fun, and if you love a good (FLAT) woods walk, you will love this one. 

Even Ellington was tired!!

I liked you Owl's Head. 
Next time (next time??) I will pack light, and run a good bit of this as it is a trail runners dream. I'm actually weirdly excited about trying that out. I like to be in the wilderness. I like the path less traveled. I do not like Lincoln Woods Trail in July......

Stats:
-21 miles
-3440 ft elevation gain
-9:50 min total time (at LEAST 30 min stopped time. We/Ellie need to eat.) 
-Difficulty: EASY/HARD/EASY
(don't be an idiot and try to do this one if you don't have your shit together. there is no cell service. that's all most people need to know :-)) 



No comments:

Post a Comment