Sunday, April 19, 2020

Pandemic Running: Week 5

So, of course, we are leading up to what should have been Marathon Monday. 

And GUESS WHAT????? Perfect weather in the forecast. If this isn't a rude kick in the face, then I just do not even know what is. (I mean, mayyyyybe a pandemic. maybe. possibly...)

So what the frick am I up to. 

I ran the appointed 30 miles last week and they were just fine. I enjoyed my running and was happy to get some relatively decent miles in.
I see some people getting in a 100 mile week challenge, and I have to admit, I am intrigued. Why the hell not? Basically, there are no rules anymore, from what I can discern. 

Usually, at this point in the year I take a moment to reflect back on my 18 or so weeks of training, and make a prediction of how I'm going to do on the big marathon day. 

Here's how I feel about this training cycle. I came into it a bit unfit. Last summers hiking, injury, creative fall marathon, and subsequent recovery really didn't give me anything to work from. I really felt that I came into this cycle in kind of "meh" shape. In all honesty, I didn't have too many "great" workouts until after the Hampton Half. (that is a lot of base building....) 

But dudes, here is what I know. 
In the 13 weeks of training that I stuck to, I did the work. I got in the miles (except for pre-plague-plague week/s) I did "speed" I did "hills" I sucked it up on cold long run days. And I REALLY could feel it all come together. 
Even today, I had a run that felt horribly laborious, tedious, gross, and it was faster than what I could do in a "pretty hard" workout a few months ago. So. Running always gives you a pretty solid payback. It might not always be in a marathon, or a PR, but fuck yes- I'm in WAY better shape now than I was in back in December. And that is good. 

Upcoming. While I know that nobody knows what September will bring, I plan to train this spring and summer as though a 2021 BQ will be on the line on September 14th. This means (if I have counted correctly.....) that round two if actual training will begin on May 11th.

All of this is so weird! So damn weird. What the hell are any of us doing!? 
Well. Apparently I am going to run a 100 mile week (or, more likely, NOT.) And resume some level of structured training in just a few weeks. 

For the upcoming week I would like to add a few (like, 3, not 60) miles to my plan. I hope that people  are smart enough not to go to Boston tomorrow, and run the course in big groups like idiots. Yep, we all miss it, but stay TF away. 

Oh, and this is TOTALLY a year when I will buy a finishers jacket at the expo. I had one from my first year, and the RAINY year of 2018 (that I got online for only $30 post race!...) And you BETTER believe that if I find myself at that damn start in September, I will have an overpriced jacket in my hot little hands really to wear daily until the end of time. UNTIL THE END OF TIME. 

So. Until then, stay safe, stay healthy, and may the odds be ever in our favor. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about...everything. The work worries, postponed race, anxiety, the whole thing. I hope this upcoming training cycle is successful and fulfilling, and that you have an outstanding race in September!

    ReplyDelete