Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Boston Marathon Training 2019: Game OVER (but not like, in a bad way.)

Yep, it's that time. Every year, just like Christmas. This is when I say "game over."

GAME OVER
Because there is only ONE week to go! So basically, no matter what has happened in the past few weeks, Or in ALL the weeks since November, there's nothing that can be done now! So sit back, chill tf out, do yo' damn laundry, and enjoy.

Thankfully, I was more of less back to normal last week. (physically, anyway. haha) After my Saturday massage I began to feel better. I was extremely thankful for this, as my back issue was drastically impacting my work day (and yes, running as well. but I was somewhat more concerned with how I was half assing my actual job.)

I had a short 4 mile run on Monday which felt ok- and not much more than that. My back was about 85% better (than it had been- even on a good day this winter it was still a little sketch) but my legs felt pretty dead, and my calves felt as thought they were working about 75% harder than normal. Weird.

Right, and it was also not really Spring for most of the week. In the end, we had a couple nice days. But not Tuesday morning.

Cold
On Wednesday I had a Chiro appointment which was pretty major. There were quite a few adjustments needed throughout my whole body, but there certainly seemed to be some rather significant problems in my pelvis. Gross. Once I headed out, I felt better than I had in weeks and was able to have a very normal feeling 5 miler. Good news. I have another Chiropractic visit next week to make sure that the improvements stuck, and then I'm on my own until after race day.

I hoofed it over bitch hill on Thursday, to find a smaller snowbank.

I can see over the snowbank!
Saturday brought about the final long run (I think I did a few easy miles on Friday- but who can remember?) 11 miles, on a pleasant day (about 53 degrees) at around an 8:20 pace.
Ummmm, but ALSO, there was a little garbage snow in the morning.

Gross
Luckily, it warmed up well, and was a really nice day! And the workout: Basically a carbon copy of the final long-ish run from last year. Hopefully, a good omen. I also saw a fox hunting a turkey, so that was cool. And random.

Looks almost like Spring!
No workout on Sunday, but a 90 minute massage/trigger point session that sucked (but not as badly as last week.)

My feelings
Since it was national beer day, we then took Ellie to the pub and she fell asleep. Lame!

Perfect
So, during the great back crisis of 2019, I missed approximately 212 workouts.
Or, 3, to be more accurate.
I missed my biggest bitch hill workout.
I missed my final chance at downhill reps (which were already lacking...)
And, I missed my final long-long run which was expected to be about 16-17 miles.

UGH. I must assume though, that 3 workouts won't have made or broken me. There was nothing I could have done about it anyway, so I'm not going to ruminate.

The weather is looking alright for race day. No complaints from me!

Terrible photo
So this week will be all about fluffing around as per the taper usual. I'll run a couple little 800's or something mid week, and then put the legs up and on ice.

And that, my friends, is that.
March was a super month of running- I finally felt that things were really solidifying. I am going to take that confidence to the start line and run the shit out of this race.

Stats:
Mileage: 30.5
Crisis bodywork appointments: 2
Actual sobbing meltdowns: ZEERO
Times I ran 0.04 miles and stopped: ALSO ZERO, SO A HUGE WIN
Times I was so pissed: ZEROOOOOOOOOO

Signature

2 comments:

  1. Yay for the improved back and the wrapped training, see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to pop in and say I've been following your writing both here and on COTH (I'm a runner and used to ride). Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete