Sunday, March 31, 2019

Boston Marathon Training 2019: Week 13. The clusterfuck

Well. This was not the week I had planned on AT ALL.

Things began well enough. Just a few recovery miles on Monday before I had to bail, and take the puppy to the vet for shots. It was certainly still snowy enough, but it was a pleasant day for a pleasant run.

Still snowy 
I was ready for a big run on Tuesday. The final "major" speed/endurance work, with another round of 3x2 mile reps. Out of all the workouts that I do, this is by FAR the best confidence builder that I can think of (besides the successful long run!)
I stopped by home to grab my running kit, and being in a rush, basically scooped up Ellie when she ran to me. (Yes, I should have made her sit, and wait, and such. AND DO I EVER WISH I HAD.)
The second I lifted her I knew I had done something pretty awful. But you know how sometimes awful can feel less bad after you move a bit? So, I went and ran my repeats despite my concern that I had sustained a painful back injury. And to be honest, the workout was fine. The aftermath was ok. But as I stooped over, post workout,  to remove my tights and socks, the tightness and pain came roaring back in.

FUCK.

Wednesday was a rest day, and a cold day. I figured the cold would be a helpful addition to the ice I was applying (kidding, I know it doesn't work that way) And my assumption was that a rest day would put things right. Even though this was certainly not a running injury, a lower back problem simply can't be helped through running.

Not Spring yet
I was feeling pretty positive at this point. I had a minor back issue in February (not minor the day it happened, but very swiftly resolved) and I was confident that history would go on repeat.

And, to be honest, on Thursday morning I was pretty sure I was correct! I felt decent enough, although there was some lingering tightness in my hips. I assumed that after a day of movement while working, that I would me more than ready for an evening hill workout. Time to get shit done!!

Here is what actually happened.
I knew that prior to my workout, I would be in charge of Ms Ellie for a bit. I was looking forward to this, as she is usually a shining beacon of delight at the end of a long day. As it turned out, she was more a whirling dervish of Sharknado. I had my hands full. Oh, and not to mention that I had COMPLETELY OVERDONE IT at work (like, ALL IN. WTF.) So when Eric was done working, he came downstairs to find me in gales of ugly tears. The puppy had morphed into a lunatic. I had discovered that I was MUCH more seriously wounded than I thought, and I was having a full-on, legit, messy, ugly, meltdown. Nice.

I took half a muscle relaxer (lightweight here) passed out anyway (real lightweight), and awoke on Friday on the fucking hot mess express.

Right. I clearly was not going to run. Or do much (other than a 10 hour work day.) With my recent training feeling so good, and going SO well, (and equestrian season ramping up, and my coach expecting excellence in 10 days when she returns) I was feeling pretty shattered. Lame, right? But I'm human. I want to succeed, not fall down injured.

So what did I do.
I called in professional help.

Trigger point therapy on Saturday, and more to come next week!
This brutal session was well worth it. My therapist regarded me in the manner of a ticking time bomb... "There is a LOT wrong here" he said, after gingerly prodding my amazingly tight hip area. "I can see why you are in pain" "That is NOT bone, it is muscle. Which is so tight it feels like bone." Yeah. Not good. He said a bunch of other stuff, but I was busy yelling and cold sweating.

SEXXXXXXXXY
Prior to my appointment, I had delicately attempted to run (to see where I was at) and it COULD NOT happen. I should have known before I even tried, as it took me 15 minutes to wiggle into my tights and shoes..... I love that I put a 27 second run on Strava! I am fucking hysterical. I honestly can't figure out why I'm not a runner with a sponsor.


NO
The diagnosis: extremely tight hip flexors, glutes, piroformis, quads, and basically nothing wrong in the lower back (except all those asshole muscles pulling it out of whack.)
The next step: incorporating stretching into my day (novel idea) returning to running carefully but as long as things feel ok, it's ok (ok, I can do this) Follow up treatments this week, and Chiro ASAP as my left hip is clearly higher than my right. Sweet.

By Sunday, I could once again put on my own socks. Little victories!

It's not a big deal. UNTIL IT IS. 
This, while poorly timed, is a good wake up call.
I have ignored my back issues for a year. I have had plenty of chances to be proactive, and I have not been. This injury is all on me, but it is a good chance for me to regain control over my proactive care, and make it a priority. It is very easy to react to a problem, as I am doing now. I'm not 25 (or 35) anymore, and if I am going to have both a physically abusive job (THAT sounds worse than it is....) and a physically demanding hobby, I MUST do more to stay healthy!

So. Onward to next week. Having a stellar Boston is still a notion that I can get behind. But most importantly, I need to be smart now so that I am not out for the entire season.

Stats:
Mileage: Shit. 14.7 miles. 1/3 of what I had planned.
Crisis bodywork appointments: 1
Actual sobbing meltdowns: 1 (RARE. SO RARE.)
Times I ran 0.04 miles and stopped: 1 (SMART SO SMART)
Times I was so pissed: MANY. (first world. first world......)


Signature

1 comment:

  1. UGH!!!! F*CK!!!!!! Damn it back!!!! And being middle aged! I have been where you are and can 100% sympathize. I'm hoping all the trigger point work and other measures you can take help you get to the start/finish line in less than 2 weeks. I'm rooting for you! -Kim K.

    ReplyDelete