Sunday, March 10, 2019

Boston Marathon Training 2019: Week 10

Well, another week done. While we might be one more week closer to Spring, the weather for most of this week would make you think we were still fully ensconced in winter. MEH.

I feel like this was a good week of training. I'm definitely feeling the motivation that comes along with the LACK of a 2020 BQ. So yeah, watch out bitches. (meaning: don't let my very average training scare you or anything...)

Monday was a snow day, but the temps actually moved in to the 30's, so by late in the day the roads were half way decent. I had a nice easy few miles, and spent a lot of time trying to see over the snowbanks (not happening.)

Ellie thinks the snowbanks are Mt Everest
Tuesday was a good, and hard, workout. 5x1 mile reps, at the all too common 7:36. I fit this in after a very, very busy work day (where I had already been on my feet for over 9 miles, per the phone...) I think this was a good workout to get me ready for some challenges in the upcoming weeks.

Thursday I hit bitch hill again. The snowbanks continue to be ridiculously high. This winter has been as big of a bitch as the hill is. However, it was an excellent workout.

Saturday was 18 to the pub. It was about as nice of a day as we have seen in 200 years (39, sun, light wind.) If I had run earlier in the day, I imagine it would have been quite warm. But, as usual, the shadows were pretty long by the time I was able to leave work, and it was comfortably cool. The icy dirt road had more or less lost its ice, and had turned into a flood.

This was the small flood
Other than the mud, and the flood, it was a good run. My right hip felt a little strange for the final 2 miles (which is weird) but it immediately felt fine.
Plus, it was so warm that I needed ZERO orange hats, and ZERO vests (also, weird.)

Basically no winter clothing
It was a fun reunion at the pub, because Eric, Lee, Ellie AND Evan were waiting for me!!

Ellie was like "nope"
There was another (small) snow storm on Sunday, but after all the melting on Saturday the roads were like death. I had been planning some downhill reps, and attempted to take the workout to the treadmill. Downhill reps are best done outdoors, but one does what one can when conditions are not ideal.

Overall, this was a good week. I'm really shooting for the BQ in Boston, and the only thing that will be out of my control will be the weather. (my head is back in the game for grossness, but I certainly won't have any chance to train in heat.) I'm really trying to hit the hard workouts, I'm keeping an eye on my annoying sesamoiditis, and I'm trying to determine if I can tolerate the blisters that the Hoka 5's keep giving me... (annoying....)

 Stats:
Mileage: 44.3
Long run: 18
Beer at pub: The typical triple/double, plus a random pickle gose that we all had a sip of  (plus a smoked pineapple sour that we all had one sip of! It was a weekend of one sip beers.)
Coldest day: Still SO COLD. It was well below zero on a few days in the morning. It was 19 when I ran on Friday. It was cold, it was windy, it was winter. 
Snow days: Monday was a no school snow day, because there had been 5 inches overnight. However, Monday was actually a properly nice day once the snow quit at 9AM. 


Signature

1 comment:

  1. Man, you have had gross weather lately! But still getting the work in, so good for you.

    ReplyDelete