Tuesday, April 9, 2019

How to run the Boston Marathon in the rain, in 5 easy steps.

I consider myself to be an expert on dealing with, and surviving, bullshit weather. I have completed Boston in 2015 (where it was rainy and yucky), and the rather infamous 2018 (where it was just hysterically bad! 37 degrees! Many inches of rain! SLEET! 30 MPH wind!)  AND I work outdoors IN MAINE, so heed my words.

ONE (How to dress for success)
Don't fuck around and try to be "cute" in athletes village. BE WARM.
Before you even get ON the bus, you will have a line to stand in, and possibly a walk to the Common. Dress for the weather. Be cool like me.

This is my athlete's village attire in 2018
Oh, and if it is literally raining BUCKETS, bring an umbrella that is not 120 years old. Umbrellas are allowed. And I lost mine on the walk to the bus last year. It was hysterically funny, but also moderately unfortunate (because I was prepared, I had an emergency poncho in my pocket which was a life saver. This is what made it a moderate misfortune, and not a crisis!)

Unfortunate
TWO (how to survive athlete's village)
Every year, I get off the bus in Hopkinton, and hear someone exclaiming about how there is not an indoor space for the athletes.
NOPE. No indoor space. (unless you sprung for the boujee "unicorn package" this year, and upgraded to a posh bus and indoor staging.) I am cheap. I did not do that. (and 5 days out I am thinking maybe I should quit being such a cheap bitch. Kidding, there's no adventure if there is no suffering!)

Athlete's village looks like this. It is not nice when the weather goes to hell in a hand basket.

It's just really, really soggy
There is a tent (with bagels and gatorade and nice volunteers) but it usually very crowded, and very wet. Make the best of it, and use this as an opportunity to wear, and then donate, all (and I mean ALL) of your older winter gear. Put it all on. Take it all off. It goes to a good cause.

Me in 2015, in the crowded (but not flooded!) tent
Last year I saw many, many, freezing people pre race. They had come to the village in nothing more than shorts and singlets, and proceeded to become hypothermic. (like, legit. no exaggerations)

My layering suggestion to survive your hours in the village:

-Race kit/body glide ON
-At least one warm layer over both of those- fleece pants and top, or sweatpants/shirt at the VERY least. Legit raincoat or winter jacket over that. Hat and gloves, and hand warmers are a great extra. Wear old shoes, and pack your race shoes in a plastic bag. Snowpants.
If you REALLY need to go small/lightweight- at least bring a big towel or blanket to wrap up in. and then cover yourself in a mylar blanket and pray.

THREE (how not to die on the long walk to the start)
I tend to keep all of my layers on for the walk to the corrals (which is .75 miles) so remember- when you go to load into the corrals you are still a long way from actually starting. There are plenty of places to drop clothing along the way. Keep em on. Don't be a hero.

At the start in 2015- sporting plenty extra layers
FOUR (the actual race....)
The course is mostly very exposed. Whether it is rain and wind, or intense sun, you simply will not find much relief.
And yes, the first mile or so is downhill- so if you are already freezing you just will not warm up!

Last year, at mile 1, I puled over to the side of the road and removed some long pants (super stretchy- so they pulled over my shoes) and ditched a sweatshirt. And to be honest- those were the only layers I  took off on course all day. But I started warm, (well. warmish) for a bit. (and then ultimately got pretty cold- but it was inevitable)

The miles through Natick can  be rather unpleasant. You might be tempted to dump all the extra warm layers at the 10k mark, but I suggest you hold out a bit longer. There is something about mile 9-11 that makes it feel super cold, super windy, and super stupid.

If you have friends on course (and you are not an elite who will be eliminated for on course support) duck under their majestic umbrellas, while you resupply your hand warmer and snack stash. LIFESAVERS.

Just trying to get my gloves on
I am hopeful that this years weather will not be as intense as last year (how could it be?? #jinx) But once again, my honest recommendation is to prioritize safety and heat retention over looking your cutest in your new race kit. I wore so much shit. Was it cute? NOPE. Did I stay out of the med tent? YEP. (was I warm? FUCK NOOOOOOPE)

Warm not trendy
If you really are in trouble en route to Boston, there are reliable med tents to duck into. I tend to use them more on the oppressively hot years, but you will get help and expert care there. Hopefully, with a bit of planning you can avoid ending up there in the first place!

Whether you are early on the course, or at the very end and decide to remove your poncho for the perfect finishing photo- be mindful of where you chuck your gear.
One might think this would go without saying, but this photo is proof that it should be said.

Not really nice
FIVE (the aftermath)
Once you are at the finish, there is a long walk to the family meeting area. (or bag check) Volunteers will wrap you up nicely, and make sure you are ok. They are nice. Sometimes I say incoherent things to them, and they don't mind.
Last year, I was honestly concerned about becoming hypothermic at the finish (it was in the mid 30's, and pissing rain) so I bypassed post race food and amenities and boogied to my people!

I made it!!
If you know the weather is going to be severe, have a post race plan and stick to it.
Are you going to duck into a nearby hotel for a warmup?
Are getting an uber back to your hotel?
Are you going to walk, do you know the route?
Are you planning to just lie down and wait for death????? (don't)

Nothing makes a person more baffled than having to make post race decisions which ultimately determine your safety. Have a plan beforehand, and stick to it!
(last year, I had a family meeting and walking plan. My friend Sarah ubered back. Both worked.)
Either way, get inside and get dry and warm ASAP!

And another helpful note- at every turn, whether you go to meet up, or to bag pick up, there are volunteers to tell you where to go. This saved my life my first year, when I had NO clue where to go!

Or just add layers until you vanish 
I tend to find the race experience in Boston very enjoyable, even when the weather goes to garbage. A few extra minutes of planning, and plenty of extra layers can be the difference between a miserable time, and a great time.

I think the trick to having a good time is to know how trained you are, and what sort of weather you have been training in. When it is 90, my Floridian friends have a much better day than I do, and I need to adjust my expectations accordingly. When it is cold, I tend to feel stronger and healthier.

So just get out there (in your winter coat and poncho) and have a great time. Rain, or snow, or sun and heat, it is still BOSTON, and is an amazing experience!

Signature

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! Running my first Boston and this was very helpful. I was a spectator last year and it was brutal. Also, that photo of your broken umbrella is pretty much outside of my office! Good luck Monday!
    Thanks again, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to freeze to death, aren't I?

    ReplyDelete