Monday, January 29, 2018

Boston training week 4: The one with the ice

Welcome to the 4th edition of this year's Boston training log.

What happened last week?

Well, on Monday I did a little recovery/easy/icy adventure run. It was sleeting ever so gently which was both chilling, and slippery. Regrettably, I had not yak-tracked up and therefore was sliding on the slime just a bit.
Sleet, sleeting away. 
Luckily, Tuesday was my planned rest day. First it iced for about 6 hours, and all the trees slowly drooped to the ground (and across the power lines) By the tine I was home from work, we were without power and the roads had turned into a death trap. So, I had wine and cheese, and we turned the generator on so that we could be civilized. All in all, not a terrible "snow" day.
(although, let's be real. I work outside. on days like that I am not too terribly excited. However, I still really like my job and being icy and soaked still beats being in an office! *for me anyway*)

I am lovely and so happy

Wednesday was still an honest to goodness disaster in the road conditions department. I also work until well after dark mid week, and can't see what good would come from running in the dark, on the ice.
Death maybe. And that does not sound like a good thing.
So, I ran my mile repeats on the treadmill. This was ideal, because I actually felt like watching some Dance Moms (really not a good show. but I still love it.)
I did each repeat at 7:30 which I was quite pleased with.

In favor of being honest, I am going to confess to how this speed workout actually played out.
Earlier in the season, Eric was my pace booty for all speed work. He is quite a bit better at speed than I am, but my shame enables me to (try) to keep up with him.
Before I got home, he completed a workout of 6xMile reps at 7:30.

I FELT THE SHAME!!!!!!!



Not wanting to feel bad about myself, I marched downstairs and knocked out a carbon copy of his workout. Having a fast husband is excellent motivation!

The ice is pretty. Pretty DEADLY!!!
Friday was easy run on the ice day. The roads were STILL bad (because it had also been cold. and FYI, ice does not melt when it stays super cold. HASHTAG The more you know.) Anyways, it was bad but not that bad, and my yak tracks needed a workout, so out I went.
The road was basically normal ice, and crispy crunchy death chunks. Every step I took was like CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH!!!! Sneaking up on anyone would have been impossible. (I actually thought someone was sneaking up on ME, but it was just the echo of my loud, loud footsteps....)
Luckily, no traffic to contend with. Small town for the win.

Crunch crispy road. Sounds like a cookie recipe or something. 

I had a shorter long run this week. I would like to tell you that is because I have a grand master plan of marathon domination.
In actuality, it is just because I felt like running about 15 miles. 20 seemed too many. 13 too few. Hence, 15 was the perfect number.
It was a quite good run, at a good clip. The weather was solid, upper 30's and overcast. The roads were still mostly crap, so Eric and I yaked it up.

Destination reached. 

We met up with Lee, Kate and Leanne at the Tap House, since we like to change things up every now and then. We had a Bissell, and some Brisket, and then went home and fell asleep at about 7:45.

The pub run crew for this week!
I hauled ass down some hills on Sunday. Downhill repeats are the shit. So much fun! I NEVER EVER EVER see 6:xx minute miles in my life, unless I am running straight down a huge hill.
So, what I need is a marathon (that is only 1.6 miles) straight downhill, and I will be able to manage a blazing fast pace!
Down the hill I run
Another good week. Legs feel good. Things are fine. No drama, or stupidity which is nice. Well, the ice was a touch dramatic but that is the way ice is, and I accept that.

Miles Run: 44.7

Elevation this week: 1,630

Lowest low temp: I think it was about 6. That sounds correct. 

Highest temp: 49 which was excellent!!!!

Total snowfall: No snow, but a ton of ice and plenty of rain. 

Coldest day that I ran outdoors: 27 degrees. Luxury conditions. 

Random fact: Before I head out for a long run, or hard workout I have half a toasted PB&J with the crappiest purple jelly that I can find, as well as a spoonful of bourbon barrel aged maple syrup. I'm not sure what to think about this, other than it works. 

Signature

3 comments:

  1. Hey You. No more drinking all these beers. You don't need that junk in your system. Did you know that a beer can take the paint off a car. Sure can Sara. So you got to stop drinking totally right this minute! You think you were scared earlier when the Doc told you that scary stuff! Well if you quit drinking now you will be fine and happy and live to at least 107. Your a lucky duckie I look out for silly goose runners like you. Ba byes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, thanks for the concern, but I am probably going to keep beer as part of my well balanced diet! It is all about moderation, and I am comfortable enjoying a quality brew alongside my kale! :-)

      Delete
  2. Do you drink 2 beers or 3 sometimes; be honest after a long run when your exhausted and maybe not thinking healthy???

    ReplyDelete