Monday, January 22, 2018

Boston Training Week 3: the one with the plan change

Last week began with some sore legs from my quad bashing downhill repeats. I was like "Jesus Christ on a cracker" because my legs felt like they had just run a marathon. I feel like it must be a brilliant training strategy, since it makes me sore af. (I'm at the point where my legs are just so damn used to running, that I very rarely get sore. Except after marathoning or downhill repeating like some kind of weirdo!)

I hobby jogged 7 easy treadmill miles on Tuesday. My legs were a lot better by then but my stomach was shit, as I was dealing with female issues. It was crap. My run basically felt like poop. (Let's see how many shit references I can fit in here. You get the idea.)

It snowed mid week and I headed out to prance around in the fluff. It was super fun, but low traction (even with yak tracks) and I felt it in my legs, especially my left calf. Pretty typical for me to get sore there if I am flipping and flopping around in snow.



The next day I did some pretty solid uphill repeats on a rather significant hill. I wore my trail shoes but really missed my yak tracks, and both my speed and my calf tension would have improved if I had worn them. It was a hard call though, it is very annoying to run with them on pavement which I would have been doing about 50% of the time. But when I needed them (like, running up most of the hill) it would have been great to have them!
It was about 24 degrees, which is a very reasonable temperature. The wind was killer though, and I ended up with a freezing cold head which was rather uncomfortable.

Still snowy
Saturday was long run/pub run day which showed an uptick in mileage.
I have more or less decided to toss in an extra 26.2 prior to Boston. I ran a 17 very comfortably last week, and concluded that I am in better shape than I thought and (more importantly) kind of like the idea of a mid winter marathon. With Boston, most likely, showing up as a 90 degree day (as it does) I would prefer to hedge my bets, and get a good, solid race in before fucking summer arrives.
That being said. If I get to mile 13.1 of said race, and things just suck, I'm planning to call it a day. (or mile 6. Or 16. Or whenever.)

So yes. 20 miles done, on the most beautiful day of the year. 45 degrees, sun, dry roads, good friends, and possibly one of my best long training runs ever. There was no mile that felt like garbage, and we kept up a remarkably solid pace, which felt comfortable (like, we were chatting and having fun, watching cars drive by us and deciding who deserved a "full wave" for being courteous, a "half wave" for sort of trying, or "NO WAVE" for basically trying to kill us....)
I did have to stop to pee twice, but that is basically part of my life right now. When you have a fibroid the size of a grapefruit that slams into your bladder when you run, peeing is a necessity.


Evan is BACK!!!
We met Lee at the pub, AND HE BROUGHT PIZZA!!!!! Which we ate in three bites.



I was on my feet all day on Sunday and hadn't really planned a run, since I had an over 40 mile week which is plenty. I hopped on my bike for a few to move the legs around and that was it.

A solid week. A logical plan change. Fun times with pizza and beer.
Marathon training at its finest!

Miles Run: 41.2

Elevation this week: 2,416

Lowest low temp: -1 (lowest high was 15)

Highest temp- 45 which was excellent!!!!

Total snowfall: 5" which was basically nothing 

Coldest day that I ran outdoors: It was 24 degrees on Thursday, which should have felt warmer than it did. 

Random fact: Evan came back to visit! His longest run lately was about 2 miles. But because he is young, and fit, he had no problem doing 8 with us. (I don't know if this is really a random fact, but it is close enough.)  

Signature

2 comments:

  1. Your Dad brings dry clothes to the pub, right? Can't picture it being much fun otherwise ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! He brings us dry clothing and snacks (or pizza) because when we go to Bear Bones it is bring your own food. I think we would drive the other customers away if we sat there in our stinky running clothes, hahahah!

      Delete