Sunday, May 30, 2021

Back at it

Nothing gets a person motivated to get back on a training plan quite like a bit of shame! 

After a fairly long stretch of EXTREMELY BUSY WORK OMG and therefore, very little/any running for the past month, I am noticing negative side effects. Minor ones, yes, but negative none the less. I honestly can say that my fitness for equestrian sports is not where it is when I am running regularly. Can I still ride well?? of course. But do I notice a difference? Most definitely. 
Also. I'm just annoyed. So annoyed. But as soon as I got out for a couple good (bad, but good) runs this weekend, I suddenly stopped caring as much about the bullshit that IS actually bullshit. (but I can let it go when I'm running, evidently. also, all work stuff. normal life is fine.)

So that's where I am at. I NEED to schedule in time for my own fitness as though it is an appointment, and stick to it. It has been VERY challenging this Spring. (work is BUSY. that is GOOD. not complaining. however, balance is always the semi impossible dream.)

As of now, I'm looking two goals for the fall season. 

1: Kilkenny Ridge 25 miler, September 
Goal: To finish, with the goal of a 2MPH pace (7K elevation is NOT easy!)

2: Boston Marathon, October 
Goal: Currently, my goal is to show up to the start line uninjured, and to cross the finish line happy. With the summer that I have scheduled professionally, I hesitate to put a time goal out there. Getting in enough running to be able to complete the race, healthy and happy seems like quite enough at the moment!

What do I need to do to meet these goals?

1: Literally get off my ass and run
*I work long, HARD and physical hours, but nothing trains you to run like running*

2: Do a weekly hike or trail run/road run trail run combo workout 

3: Work back up to better mileage- I'll need to be looking at 40 plus miles a week (which can include some hiking) by late August for sure. 
Right now I am coming off some VERY low/no running mileage weeks. So, I'll be looking at low mileage consistency for June, and will not be leaping back into huge mileage. (quantity over quality, evidently!)

4: Some BIG hikes. We hit a 15 miler last weekend which was awesome for early season! I'm definitely thinking a Presi, maybe the Carters for starters (all repeats) for some good long days which involve technical trail skills and vert. 

5: Recon for Kilkenny ridge. I know the second half well- but half the battle of a mega challenge like this is having an idea of the terrain (they try to mark the course- but there is the "leave no trace" mentality (which is GOOD) but causes other hikers to indignantly remove signage.... I really have no desire to be out hunting for the trail with a sad compass. Fuck that. 

6: Running consistency. To finish Boston, I might not have to be throwing down massive workouts, but I MUST run with extreme consistency. 

7: Stay healthy. Stretch. Ice. Roll. For the past 2 years I have had massive shin issues by late July, and I intend to work towards avoiding that. How? Being proactive rather than reactive- I'm working on ankle/foot stability (balance board, one leg squats, and these stupid one foot balance exercises on the stairs..... plus stretching. rolling. icing... here's to hoping it works!)

8: Balance. It is a LOT. Working towards two hefty races PLUS staring a MASSIVE work load in the face is daunting. I really need to schedule in time for nothing (and if I can do that more than once, I will give myself a damn medal.....)

9: Get back into the routine. Once training becomes habitual, I never even think about it. I know it is part of the day, and I do it without thinking. 

10: We eat healthy meals regularly, training or not. But I am impossibly pressed for time, and need to work on a plan for better meal planning and prep. I am pretty sick of resorting to a giant salad when it's 9PM and I'm just getting dinner sorted. But what do?? I have to work on this.....

So, some Spring stats for the week:

Miles run: 13.5
Hottest day: 92 WTF
Coldest Day: Like friggin 52 yesterday.......
Hikes? None this week.... 
Longest run: 6





No comments:

Post a Comment