Monday, January 27, 2020

Boston Training 2020: Week 6: The time of the January thaw

Yep, you heard that right. 

Monday and Tuesday were cold and nasty, and then, BAM. spring came. 
And it. IS. AWESOME. 

Here you have last week, Cold mon/tues and THEN. BETTER.

It has been consistently in the upper 30's and low 40's. This weekend's snow storm was actually in the form of rain. And (most of) the roads are nice and clear. 

So this was week six. I feel like the foundation has been built, and it is time for the real work to commence. Yay?? 

I had a fine, but totally unexciting treadmill 6 last Tuesday. 

Wednesday was speed day, a day when we said a final goodbye to 800's. (which I think is actually a lie. I'll probably do a couple during taper.) Either way, I did 7 at 7:30-7:36.

On Thursday I scooted (labored) over Bitch hill. The weather was quality, and it seemed wise to use my outdoor time to hit some hills. "Hills" on the treadmill never feel like the real deal to me. 
It was clear that more of this needs to happen- I was like "ughhhhhhhh steeeeeep woooooof."

I had a remarkably blah 16 miler on Saturday. My legs took miles to warm up. I felt like I was running uphill into a massive headwind until mile five, which just seems rude. Of course, during those miles I both had to pee, and was stopped by a random walker to "look at animal tracks, possibly a lynx or a mountain lion!!!" I quickly determined that they were tracks from my own dog. I told her "those are tracks from a WILD VIZSLA!!!!" She was more curious than I bargained for, and I had to curb the conversation as I was racing dusk. 

The run continued in an uninspired manner, especially when I hit over a mile of back road in decidedly poor condition. Despite the warm weather, it was full blown snow, ice and ZERO traction. On a day when one is already feeling like they have flat tires, this was a real smack in the teeth. Anyway. I persevered. 

With about 4 miles to go, I merged onto another, blissfully un-snowy, dirt road. Before long, I realized that I was seeing animal prints to pique my own interest. "Hmmmm" I thought to myself "This was one snazzy dog...." Of course, a short time later, I realized that I was actually tracking a WILD VIZSLA. Sure enough, I came across him soon enough and had to stop for a chat, as he is Ellie's full brother, and the only other Vizsla within 50 miles of us. I actually enjoyed seeing him so much, that the remaining miles of the run were the most pleasant of the day. 

I'm very honest with myself when it comes to stopped time during long runs. With 8+ minutes of stoped time during this one, I was feeling somewhat displeased. However, I know that in the big picture it makes no difference because dawdling is not a habitual thing for me. (I will always stop to pee-and there is just NO way I can manage a long run without 2 plus quick pee stops. But that is nature calling, and will also happen in a race.) 
So the meal of my story. Stop all you want. Do whatever. But be honest with yourself about your actual, honest-to-Garmin moving time. 

On Sunday I ran the easiest 5 miles that ever existed, and then the week was over. 

I'm being proactive for the first time ever. I have been remembering to stretch, foam roll and get ahead of the hip/back problems (those actually hinge more on snow than running- but shoveling is bound to happen....) 

Stats:
Total miles: 42.0
Long run: 16
Coldest Day: Tuesday was a high of 19 which was not pleasant. 
*we should just note, that Wednesday was the start of a lengthy January thaw*Snow NONE just rain this week
Random: I take note of all the road trash while I run. Bud light cans. One orange glove. A long, long screwdriver. One cashew. I see it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment