Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Training for Marine Corps Marathon: Week 14

So, to answer the unasked question:
It IS weird to train for a marathon without running. But it is happening! Who knows what this will lead to on race day, but I'm certainly putting in the effort.

Last week was a pain free leg week 100% of the time. I haven't said THAT in a while! Despite the pleasant surprise of a pain free life, I'm not trusting the little bugger.

Workouts:
-I spent 4 hours and 55 total minutes on either the bike, or elliptical (only 1:10 on the elliptical, as I must go to the gym to use the stupid thing.) (like, all week not in one go. duh)

-I did a 30 minute strength workout. go me.

-On Sunday, I ran for 10 minutes!! Miracle!

What I'm noticing, is that the time I am spending working out is not as high as it would be on a peak week if I was able to run (and was heathy, etc etc.) Honestly, I was about an hour short of total time this week. Part of this is due to my warm ups and cool downs being much shorter on the bike. If I ran mile repeats, my warm up would have been comparable (about 20 minutes) but I would have had a 20-30 minute cool down. On the bike, it was basically 5 minutes. On peak week, I also would have been running for about 40 minutes longer than I elliptical-d/biked for my "long run" attempt.
Honestly, these are not my normal forms of exercise and I DO have a background fear of sustaining some stupid secondary injury if I just go "ALL IN" too hard. So this is what it is, and where I am at. Enjoy following along on my cluster fudge adventure....!

I'm doing my best to replicate, on the bike, what I might be doing on a run.
For example, I did some speed work of 3x10 minutes at a challenging pace.
My "long run" was 1:10on the elliptical, and 1:10 on the bike.

Seriously. I have no idea what I'm actually doing, but I'm gonna wing it and see what happens. I'm certainly putting in solid work, and getting a sore butt out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment