Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Training for Marine Corps Marathon: Weeks 12 and 13

Week 12, on paper, went almost as planned. However, it did not end as planned!!!

The week started off fine, I had an easy recovery run on Monday and things were feeling good.
I headed out on Wednesday with a plan to do a few mile repeats- I was shooting for 4, as my speedwork mileage has not been high. It was the warmest day we had had in a while, and HUMID AF. I felt genuinely dreadful. My calves returned feeling awful like earlier in the season (like, tired/crampy) but my stomach was the real trouble maker. I felt progressively more nauseated as the workout progressed, and after the 3rd repeat I called it a day. GROSS.

I actually had a really good long run on Thursday. The calves were a touch rough at first, but it was an overall good run, on a nice day. The 8:44 pace felt pleasant, and I was really optimistic.

On Saturday I went for a short, easy run. Nothing of note occurred, it was actually an extremely boring little outing.
And as soon as I got home, my troublesome shin/calf turned into CRAP. I was pretty surprised by this event. While it had not been feeling "perfect" it was far from what I would call an "injury."

WELL. When I awoke on Sunday still LAME AF, I declared myself injured and put myself on the DL.

So, Week 13 consisted on some bike trainer miles, and a looooooong horse show with a shit ton of walking. The crap leg was CRAP until Saturday the 21st when it suddenly snapped out of it and stopped hurting completely.
The other weird thing that's happening, was that my foot was super sore as well. Basically, my leg hurt from the arch of my foot, through my calf and shin. I am old, it is a shame.

I don't really trust it at this point. I have no plans to take to the pavement to test out it's integrity for several more days. Or maybe a week. Who knows!

So here's the good news:
-Crap leg does not hurt at all anymore. At any point. Not when I get up. Not when I walk. Not at all.
-Crap leg is really just being a bitch. I never could "pinpoint" a spot of pain, there was never swelling or bruising, I never actually did anything stupid to myself other than living my best life.
-I can do other activities
-I'm smart enough to FULL stop when something stops being a little annoying, and becomes stupid

The bad news:
-Despite this clearly not being a sprain/stress fracture, it still sucked.
-I do have a marathon in a month.
-I did take 2 weeks off in august, to try to mitigate this issue, and it clearly did not work. Hence the trust issue!

Well, the other good news:
-I'm not at all stressed about this
-I'll go to the marathon anyway
-I'm not sitting on my butt
-Luckily, while I do enjoy running, I do not require it. I can exist happily on no running.

This has put my notion of an MCM BQ on hold, but I am still feeling confident that I can show up healthy at the start, and talk myself into finishing. Shit happens, and this is really not a very big deal in the big picture.

After all, there is a HUGE macaroni and cheese festival (who knew this was a real thing!!) in DC the day before the race, and that alone is worth the trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment