Thursday, March 25, 2021

Mt. Washington, Bad running, Boston 2021

*forgot to hit publish for days*

So. For next week we need a new plan. SET THE BAR LOW. If I just say straight up that I plan to run ZERO miles, then anything will seem like an amazing accomplishment! Hence, the new plan. ZERO MILES NONE. 

Ugh. Yeah, last week was just not a stellar one for getting things done. I managed to get in 2, 6 milers outdoors that felt pretty solid, and a lame 3.5 miler which was miserable on the treadmill. 

Spring is coming, so the outdoor running days were quite lovely.

Still looks like winter though

Eric, Ellie and I had an absolutely ridiculously amazing hike up Mt. Washington via the Jewell trail on Sunday. 
It was one of those days that make Mt. Washington seem like a friendly place. Temps in the upper 50's at the base, and above freezing at the summit meant that the whooping FIVE mile an hour wind that we felt for SIX seconds was tolerable. Not to be lame, but there aren't enough words to describe what a day like this is like on this silly hill. 

Dorks hahahah

We definitely loved being outdoors for this one, every minute was a blast (well, we probably complained a little on the ascent. And I'm always mildly scared about losing my feet and falling into the ravine, but all the issues were very low key.)

NOT A CLOUD

The hike was BY FAR the highlight of the week, and an incredible start to the Spring hiking season. Super excited SUPER excited to get out there!! (not that we have stopped getting out there. but the Spring season is always exciting!!!)

And yes, last week The BAA announced plans for "Boston 2021" and the internet was mad, as usual. 

I have a 9-ish minute buffer (I don't remember the exact number and I am too lazy to check) Usually I would feel pretty confident, but who knows. My instagram friends think I'm all set. 

A hopeful bunch


So people are mad because:
-The field size has been reduced to 20,000 THE HORROR
-*anyone* is allowed to run the virtual race THE NERVE!!!
-Everything us UNFAIR
a: "I am a first time qualifier, I should be prioritized"
b: "I am an old qualifier, I should be prioritized"
c: "Everyone else BUT ME aged up last year, and gained an extra 5 minutes. UNFAIR!!! I SHOULD BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THEM!!!" 
d: I had a baby. I should be put to the top of the list. 

I am not even halfway making any of these up. I don't have the imagination to do so. I am quite sure that not EVERYONE is upset, but mad people are the ones to leave the internet comments. 

So, here is my feeling:
I qualified, and pretty well. I might not get in. Too bad for me. 
I did not age up, and actually LOST 5 minutes last year when I did, because new rules. Too bad for me. 
None of us might be able to run, because Covid. Too bad for us. 
Apparently there is a special medal for this race, which makes me want to run. Fact. But too bad for me if I just don't get there. 

So, we shall see. The end. 

Stats:  
Miles run: Like 16?? maybe??
Hiked: 8.8 up WASHINGTON!!!
Warmest day: So warm on Sunday, 60 in our town
Coldest day: It was 15 when I woke up on Thursday. 
Snow: NOPE
Place in Challenge on Sunday night: 1/43 


1 comment:

  1. And OMG A VIRTUAL OPTION! It will diminish the awesome accomplishment of actually running Boston. Or.. .not... It will give the BAA funding it will need to keep the organization afloat after losing out on almost 2 full years of events. THINK ABOUT IT, PEOPLE.

    ReplyDelete