Monday, February 25, 2019

Hyannis Marathon: The sucky suckfest edition

Spoiler: It rained and was freezing and windy and stupid. Slightly warmer than last year, just as rainy, more windy.

Spoiler two (incase you want the tl/dr version.) I bailed at the 13.1. (well, 13.3)
LAME.

One shitty run, and 6.6 of soaked clothing later
I knew that (almost unbelievably) it was forecast to be a shit show of a day yet again this year. My assumption was that I was going to be able to suck it up and have a decent run.

Fucking ridiculous
There are actually a few reasons why I might not have had the mental fortitude to finish this year, but in the end, it was 100% my choice to walk off the course just after the half and call it a day. I wasn't hurt. I felt ok. I was (as expected) very cold and wet, but in the past that has not been an issue. Nothing was really wrong, and I was on pace for a BQ (I ran the half in just over 1:45)

Quite simply, I didn't want to continue. And to be honest, when I looked out of my hotel window first thing in the morning to see the driving rain and wind, my thought was "Wow. I'm not going to finish today." This was NOT a good thought to have, and not what I anticipated. However, the notion lingered in the back of my mind and eventually was my undoing. It was a very undramatic undoing. I simply decided the I did not have it in me. I was happy to walk into the warm resort, very happy to get into warm clothing, and very happy to just be done. (happy to get out of the razor sharp rain, the whipping wind, the freezing cold...)

Today, I'm a little disappointed in myself.
However, I think the touch of self loathing that I feel will be the catalyst for motivation next time things get tough. I'm not afraid to admit that I failed, and I refuse to spin it any other way. (Great magical tempo run!!! uhhhh, no.)

I choose to run marathons. I enjoy the training (go figure!) If I get to the actual race and bitch out half way through, it's a clear sign that I need to up my mental game.

And also, a clear sign that I am human.

Eric and I had a hard week. We lost our beloved old dog on Friday (planned euthanasia, but that is not an easy thing!) And the SAME day our puppy started peeing blood (literally, as we were taking Missy to get buried....) So yeah. Super high stress levels. Both of us did a lot of coping and I simply may have run out of fucks to give by 11:45 on Sunday.

I will leave you with cute pictures of my puppy, who is recovering from a nasty UTI (but, thankfully, is FINE!!) She LOVED the road trip and HATED the rain!

Snuggles before she got in her carseat for safety!
First time seeing the ocean. So confused about what it was!


Signature

1 comment: