Friday, March 1, 2013

In which I am mostly recovered, a true miracle!

I seem to be somewhat back to normal after last weekends drowning incident.
(physically. who knows if I'll ever get to "somewhat normal" in everyday life...)
Still reflecting upon the events at the race and still feeling good about it even though I didn't meet my time goal.
 
Actual race picture.
This was a DRY spot, no lie.

Double Fact
Still glad I didn't bitch out at mile 13...

I got back into the running way of things yesterday and it was ok. I didn't hurt and that's all I can ask for (very happy actually...) I did my core workout too and actually put forth a modicum of effort which is sure to pay off in dividends (yeah, ONE good core workout will do that. *ahem*)
 
I mentioned in my last blog that I have a small handle on my race nutrition.
Please note, I say that tentatively- I have had success with the following plan on 2 runs (which, sadly, is an amazing streak for me!)
In bullet points:
-2 breakfasts. I start with 2 crumpets and jam (of all things!) Then an hour to 45 minutes before the race have a plain bagel with some sort of nut butter (peanut or almond)
-1/2 a small cup of coffee. Gotta have it
-A decent sized bottle of Scratch. Go buy some now. It is the best hydration mix ever (not to sweet like some drinks, not to fizzy like others...)
-2 Pepto about 2 hours prior to the race. Because that is smart.
 


-While running I have a squeeze packet of baby food (purple carrots, blueberries and pears) around mile 6. This sounds gross but it is GOOD and so easy to eat. I have an awful time getting GU down and this is so nice and easy to eat. Sits much better in my idiot belly too...
-I snag several cups of too sweet but caloric Gatorade (I prefer H20 but need the sugar/calories)
-If I'm running slowly (training run) I eat a few PB crackers. If I'm running fast (race) I eat part of a honey stinger waffle around mile 15 or so. I'd actually like another fruit snack here but they are heavy to carry!
 
And that is it.
 
I plan to stick with this for a while since I have had decent luck with it thus far. I do not enjoy darkening the doors of every porta-crapper on the course, nor do I enjoy projectile vomiting. It is not fun and it does not make for a very enjoyable race or post race. Gross.
 

In other news I look like death in all my race photos.
What's new, you might ask....
They are also very pricey so I am not going to buy them for the "bad photo" section of my blog.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who looks like death in my race photos. I posted one once but I think about taking it down almost every day. The baby food squeeze pack sounds awesome! I'm definitely going to try that.

    Congrats at that super wet race. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always hate my race photos! I think it's great that you have your nutrition dialed in...such a tough part of the whole racing thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, I buy those squeeze packs for my daughter all the time but never thought about using them on a run. You're a genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of like that race photo of the feet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need work on my fueling situation, I also have a stupid stomach. I only took one energy gel during Hyannis (at mile 5), but I wasn't "racing". I need to figure my stuff out soon because of all the marathons, half Ironman and probably ultra I am doing this year. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing what is working with your nutrition. This is always an issue for me and my sensitive running stomach. I have run two (out of 5) marathons now without any fuel except a few sips of Gatorade and water because I just didn't want to mess with stomach problems, however, I know I need more fuel than that, so I have to figure this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing what is working with your nutrition. This is always an issue for me and my sensitive running stomach. I have run two (out of 5) marathons now without any fuel except a few sips of Gatorade and water because I just didn't want to mess with stomach problems, however, I know I need more fuel than that, so I have to figure this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, all is going nicely here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts,
    that's in fact excellent, keep up writing.

    Here is my blog read here

    ReplyDelete