Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Another week, another hike, and feeling nostalgic for racing

After our vigorous hike up/down Pierce last week, I spent the next several days feeling as though I had run a downhill marathon. This was completely deserved, and not at all awesome. 

After a day off on Monday, I hobby jogged both Tuesday and Wednesday (sadly) before having 3 perfectly good outdoor runs to wrap up the week. It was not a super high mileage week, but I felt pretty good during all of my outdoor running time. Because of my "post marathon" legs, I did not embark upon any speed or hill adventures. Kind of lame, but I'm ok with it. 

The normal view on my normal lame run

I did ONE strength workout, and while it was a good one, I awoke that night with quite a debilitating series of leg cramps. Most unpleasant, and a bit upsetting. Typically, this means I have overdone it in some way, shape, or form and likely underdone it in hydration. I was pretty careful of the leg for a couple days, and closely monitored my fluid intake (it can be hard to remember to drink in the winter.) Thus far, no further issue. 

I must admit, as we cruise towards Spring, that I am really missing the occasional damn road race. It is possible that I just miss running with people, or seeing my running friends, or am having these feelings because Spring usually equals excitement (Boston! Half marathons leading up to Boston! All the people so excited and filled with dreams of PR's!!) Either way. Someday.... SOMEDAY. 

Moving on......
The weather was on our side yet again on Sunday, and Eric, Ellie and I enjoyed a snowy 7.5 mile hike up Mt Waumbek, and Starr King. We did these mountains just under two years ago, and it was a great time seeing them in the full blown winter season. 

Magic. Pure, damn winter magic

The bonus to winter hiking is that the snow covers the rocks, and if you time it correctly, the crowds are somewhat less. 

It seems we were able to knock most of the rust off during our Pierce hike, and neither of us were nearly as sore afterwards. 

Let's see. So this week. Hoping/planning to do 3 strength sessions to pay for my slacking sins. Hoping/planning to do either speed, or hills. Not so sure a hike in is in the cards for the weekend, but we always hope! 

Stats:
Miles run: Ummmm like 26?
Hiked: 7.5
Warmest day: Um. Not great but like, 32?
Coldest day: Mid 20's
Snow: two shit storms, we were supposed to get over 20" over the week, only got 4" SO SAD NOT
Place in Challenge on Sunday night: 1/39 STILL WINNING!!!! (I am actually really shocked.)

No comments:

Post a Comment