Sunday, June 30, 2019

Training for Marine Corps Marathon: Official week one

This week marked the "official" (18 week) countdown to MCM. I determined that I I counted the past few weeks as "official" training, that it would bother me forever. Because who does a 20+ week plan? Apparently, I do...

Summer arrived (in all ways) last week, but I was able to get in a good few days of early season work.

I hope to pre-load my weeks during these first few, allowing extra time at the end of the week to either:
-Go to horse shows/deal with life
-Hike
-Stack hay
-Get in one of the "following weeks" workouts, if I know the shit is going down.

Prepping for Hyannis/Boston over the winter I had the following challenges to cope with:
-Winter weather
-Coping with said terrible conditions
-Having no staff at work

During the summer I have the following challenges to consider:
-Summer weather......
-3 or 4 multi day weekend horse shows
-last minute, physically taxing thousand bale hay deliveries
-12 hour workdays, but a few days when I get done early (yay!!! not a challenge!)

I'm basically planning to get my runs in when they can be done. I feel like this could make for a really messy looking week (on Strava anyhow) but the miles get in regardless!

It was nice to feel motivated last week. I reached my "required" mileage by Thursday which was a really great feeling.

Easy run Monday, "long" 7 mile run Tuesday, 8x400 at a mid-7 pace on Wednesday, and a recovery day on Thursday. I added a few miles (like, 3) on Saturday because I wanted to check out what was going on in town. #nosy

I got soaked on my Tuesday run, which actually feels pretty great during the hot summer months.

I'm just drenched. 
I ended up doing next weeks "long run" (9.1) on Sunday because by early week schedule is STUPID. It was 65 and raining too, so BONUS. This will make me look MOTIVATED on Strava this week, and LAZY next week, but I know what's up.

Stats:
Miles: 24.8 (not counting the bonus 9.1)
Hottest day: 83, woof
Longest run: Technically, 7


Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment