Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Boston Marathon 2019, week 7, the bad back edition

I feel like this update is so late, that I should just tie this week's recap into it.
But that would be cheating.

Last week began well enough. I ran a few recovery miles on Monday and things felt fine. Better than the week before, actually.

Overall, the whole week was spent in better energy. Part of this may have had something to do with needing to bail on my only hard workout of the week. I had planned some long endurance/speed miles (3x2 mile reps) on Wednesday. At 10 days out from a potential marathon a workout like this can be a risk, but so can the weather at this time of year. If a blizzard was looming to cancel the race event, or it it was shaping up to be 70 degrees, this workout would have been well timed (and the biggest challenge of an otherwise easy week.)

Alas. At lunch on Wednesday I did something AMAZING and HEROIC and really, really tweaked my back. I basically had to cash in my chips and call it a day- which meant that I was really hurt. It sucked.
(and "amazing and heroic" means "picking up a dog toy" so, there's that...)

How my crap back made me feel
Thursday was slightly better. Eric and I took Ellie on her first hike up Mt Tirem, and it was such fun!
Adventure dog!
Ellie was a real trooper in the snow, and it was a really nice Valentine's Day evening.

NO FILTER
I basically felt recovered on Friday and did a few sucky treadmill miles. The treadmill feels like shit to me at this time. I don't know if it is me, or the treadmill, but I hate it.

I ran a kickass 11 on Saturday in the most sloppy and damp conditions. I was an absolutely sopping wreck by the time I reached the pub, but I got the job done. And it was a really excellent pre-taper run.
Sloppy world
Because I finally pulled the trigger.

Because why not
And the weather looks amazing, as usual. WTF.

Typical 
Oh, and I feel like I need to include the traditional Saturday group photo to prove we were all there! And to show how much Ellie is growing (a lot, she has doubled in size!)
She is also extremely popular. She made countless new friends this weekend, and is really very good in public for such a young dog.

BIG DOG
So, what do I anticipate at Hyannis except for rain?
This has been a very reasonable training cycle. Not quite as perfect, or intense as last year. Taking that into account, I imagine that I will be able to finish successfully, but most likely slower than last year.
Honestly, if I get to the 13.1 and I feel like a bucket of assholes I'm going to bail and come up with a plan B. I have no intention of running 26.2 shitbag miles, thanks.
The rain doesn't bother me, I seem to have had a bit of practice in similar conditions!
So yeah. I'm just going to run along and see what happens. I have rarely found that there are any surprises, or "unexpected" PR's on marathon day. I know I am not fit enough for any kind of PR, but I do believe I am in condition to BQ. Who knows, it's always a crap shoot!

Stats:
Mileage: 26.5 
Long run: 11.1
Beer at pub: A flight of double, pink pils, picea and cyborg sour (which I don't really love)
Coldest day: There were a few- it was never super warm. Sunday was pretty chilly- I think the day started at 6 degrees and got to like, 19. 
Snow days: Wednesday due to 10 overnight inches, 3 inches of grossness on Friday, 2 more on Sunday. And more to come. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Hyannis and your stupid ass weather. Hey, we have trained and raced in worse conditions right?! That BQ is yours! Go get em!!!! - Kim K.

    ReplyDelete