Thursday, September 17, 2020

Virtual Boston Marathon

I  had a few ideas about how to tackle my own, personalized 2020 Boston Marathon. 

My own private Boston

I was looking forward to the event in the way that one looks forward to a situation that one is most certainly not 100% prepared for. For me, that means no pressure, immense flexibility, the need for creativity, and a small sense of dread. The usual. (this may, in fact, be how I feel prior to events that I am 100% prepared for, to be honest.)

I considered running 262 lengths of my driveway. This was a very real option for about a day.
I thought about running to the pub we used to frequent (which is closed now) and then BACK. This was an option for about one minute. 
Then, I mentioned to Lee that I had seen a couple people on the internet mention that they were planning to run the Kancamagus Highway, and CLEARLY, an idea was born. Because running over a mountain is ALWAYS a good idea! 
So ok, creative idea, CHECK. 

Lee offered to be my roving aid station, as I planed to run a point to point route from *almost* Lincoln, NH, to Conway, NH. This was a brilliant idea, and we decided that Friday the 11th sounded good. That meant I could work Friday morning, run that afternoon, then have 2 days off from riding horses and be back to it on Monday. 
Well. The best laid plans changed when Lee remembered he had an appointment on Friday. OH LEE!
Actually, I legit did not care. I was like, "Saturday it is!" (which meant I could work extra on Friday! Work Saturday morning, then run, then have ONE day to get my legs in order before being back on horses on Monday. 
So OK, Being flexible. CHECK. 

For planning purposes, there was discussion about how long the adventure might take. Especially since I had not run longer than 10 miles at a time since March. 
I was like "ehhh who knows. 5 hours? Maybe?"
(No pressure. CHECK)
Lee helpfully printed me out a spreadsheet, complete with pace, elevation (yikes) and about 26.2 places that he could meet me with in-tow aid station along the way. (Unlike Lee, I'm not one to to plan.... we kind of figured out his aid station locations on the drive.)

Saturday morning dawned, and it was lovely. 
I went to work for the morning. 
Packed my shit. Left late (ALWAYS)

The internet had suggested that I "gather my cheer squad and some chalk, and make an authentic Boston Marathon start and finish line!!" Lee and I decided that we were not really chalk art people, and that we would be doing very little instagram worthy stuff #lame but #fact

Saturday on the Kanc is stupid trafficy, and this was a known fact.  Evidently, this particular Saturday marked the day when EVERYONE who owns a road racing motorcycle hits the Kanc, and uses it as their own, lawless, personal race track. 
As we drove the 26.2 miles from the Conway end, shit got CRAZY. There were bikes passing us on the right. Bikes passing us on the left WHILE other cars were meeting us from the other direction. And this happened over, and over, and OVER. 
Before I headed off to run, Lee said "So. If it just too stupid out there, we can go do something different." (while I believe he meant that I could go elsewhere to run, I was imaging something totally different like going off to get some sandwiches or ice cream or bacon or something.....)
So yeah. Too Fast, Too Furious RACE BIKE edition equals DREAD. check. 

The first 5 miles of my run was very much uphill, gaining over 1K in elevation. 
After that, an almost straight downhill route (well... a couple flats, a couple small ups, but certainly a downhill theme.)

And down we go. But not until mile 5. 

Anyways. UP I went. And I felt good! I have been doing so much hiking, and some trail running, that my legs were pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to run uphill on pavement. (like, a 9% grade for a while there....) 

I saw Lee a couple times in the first 5 miles and told him stories about the crazy bike race people zooming by, doing wheelies and acting crazy. He told ME stories about how he saw them riding 4 across, standing straight up on top of their bikes! (listen, I'm all for good fun, but doing this on a public road seems so reckless!) I was also able to tell him that I was not terrified, or in danger, and that the bail out sandwich/taco/ice cream plan would have to wait.) 

Here's Lee!

Thankfully, at mile 5 (at the overlook where the bike gang was "hosting" their convention)  the cops showed up and broke up the party. 
YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!

You can see a few of the bikes in this pic

And after that, the story becomes quite ordinary. 
Well, first we had to celebrate my queen of the mountain status, at the Kancamagus Pass!

Made it up the mountain

As far as running goes, I strove to maintain an easy pace throughout. It would have been pretty easy to take off like a bat out of hell at the first downhill, but that did not seem wise. 
The awesome thing was to see Lee, and beginning at mile 11, Eric and Ellie too, every couple miles. This was GREAT FABULOUS fun, and I definitely took some time at each stop to chat for a moment. (and get some water, and pick up some snacks.... and to take some instagram pics) 

The whole gang

I assumed that at some point my legs would simply quit, and I would be forced to walk the final few (or more) miles. Even though I definitely began to feel a little pooped around mile 19, I continued to run to the end, aside from a couple short walk breaks. 

Lee and Eric had to get creative with parking, since the crowds were definitely out. The good thing was that nobody was congregating where they were, so it was all very Covid safe (Eric and I, and my parents have been extremely cautious since March, and this was the biggest outing we have dared to go on. And, thankfully, it felt very safe. Except for the motorcycles. While some people say they are "safe" and are shopping, dining, going to pubs, movies, getting together with friends, and family, we have done legit NOTHING. Not even outdoor stuff with anyone but each other. So, yeah. This was the biggest outing of summer 2020 for SURE.) (and no judgement. you do you, bro. and we'll do us)

I had given Lee a box of things I might want while running and we managed to arrange it so that I could "trick or treat" every time I met up with him (this was a good way to celebrate Halloween, since that won't be happening....) The weird thing that I wanted the most was crackers! I think I ate my way through a box of Wheat Thins (kind of like Thanksgiving.... go me! Since we won't be celebrating THAT this year!!!!) (and WTF. who eats wheat thins while running??)

So yes. I twiddled through my final 10k, in the lengthening shadows, crackers in hand and legs still managing a sub 10 pace. 

Right at 4:13 I reached my AMAZING FINISH LINE!!!! Which, due to the variables in the world happened to be about a quarter mile away from where my elite level support team was awaiting my arrival. So, I kept running and pretended to win the Boston Marathon as I ran into a glorious parking lot! (it was like, guess what, CHRISTMAS!!! Celebrating early, since I won't be throwing my Holiday party/s this year.) 

FINISHED!!

Within one minute I had a beer in my hand, sweatpants on my legs, and we were telling stories of the entire fabulous event. I had thought that running 26.2 solo might kind of suck, but I really enjoyed it! I never went more than a few miles without checking in with Lee so that certainly helped, but I really like a good run by myself too, evidently. 

My moving time clocked in at 3:58 which is pretty fantastic, considering that I have not really marathon trained since prior to Boston 2019. Of course, my actual finishing time of 4:13 reflected some enjoyable rest stops (and a couple/few pee breaks, clearly.) 

Now that the dust has settled, I'm even more pleased with my effort. My recovery was easy (2 days of mildly sore legs, nothing major) shows me that I did not overexert. Conquering the marathon distance solo was a first for me, and a test of my mental mettle. I like a good challenge, and this was a unique one. Mostly, I really enjoyed the interaction with Lee and Eric throughout the day. I was really able to look forward to the frequent morale boosts, and having everything I could possibly need at my fingertips allowed me to take great care of myself (hence, the fast recovery!)

So. Success. I'm totally counting this as Boston Marathon #8, because I feel I put forth a genuine, honest and solid solo effort. 
If we are being real, I kind of wish I could have my roving aid station/support crew along for the ride at every race!

We'll see what 2021 brings for Marathons, and big events like Boston. For 2020, I think that the BAA did a splendid job coordinating this event, and making it feel like a really big deal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment