Thursday, August 29, 2019

Training for Marine Corps Marathon Weeks 8&9

Week 8 was, as planned, a zero week. (this would have been the week of August 11th.)
Since it seems that my crappy blog will not allow me to comment on comments (dumb) here's my answer to why I like a nice, sensible, zero week.

Well... Possibly because I'm just not a high level runner? I am quite sure that if I was shooting for a big goal, a low key week would not be ideal (or maybe it would!) I find that taking a really massive cut back week, or zero week, allows me to fully recharge.
I have found myself in the position of being forced into a zero week for my past couple marathons. Maybe I get super sick, or hurt my stupid back. Whatever the reason, I seem to come back from a rest much better.
Maybe I should always rest, and never train....?

As it turned out, I would have needed to quit running for that week anyway, whether I had planned to or not.
Since my hobby (hiking) is pretty active, and my job can easily keep me on my feet for double digit miles a day, I had sustained some minor injuries.
I managed to turn my ankle pretty badly while WALKING AROUND, which is possibly the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Add to that some shin crap that I managed to collect while hiking, and I was a gimp. I actually (unfortunately) had to extend the rest into week 9- which was not my plan. I saw my Chiro and got some major work done (all feet and ankle crap. so much of it.) That really helped, so I hiked almost 25 miles total last weekend, beat myself up, then got back to training.
I did make it out for a 3 mile run, but it never made it onto Strava because my watch is screwed up...

In the big picture, 2 weeks of no running are not ideal in marathon training. But, if I had not taken them I feel that the odds would have been against me and I'd probably be on the injured list later in this cycle. (or, NOW.) My hope is that the break, and the work I have done to rehab will get me to the start line.
(if I was a more serious runner, I would probably knock off the huge hiking weekends. but that is probably not going to happen.....)

So.
Stats:
Miles: 3 :-)
Hottest day: 90, while I was at a horse show. So this sucked. 
Longest run: 3!!!!!
Hiking miles- 24.2 Maybe this is good for marathons???

Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment