Sunday, July 21, 2019

Training for Marine Corps Marathon Week 4: Getting it done

There were a million reasons to skip my workouts this week:

-Getting 1100 bales of hay over the course of 24 hours
-Being really busy at work
-The humidity rising, an the temps soaring
-Being old and sweaty

I did not skip any runs, but I did move things around a bit. I really can't wrap my head around a long run in 96 degree temps, with high humidity. Nope.

I did have a little trouble with my calves this week, and it's hard to say why. They don't really hurt but during two of my runs they both felt really tight, as though they were on the verge of cramping. I see this being one of two things (as my shoes don't really need to be replaced yet.) My legs are either protesting somewhat, as they transition to better fitness. Or, I'm still not nailing the whole electrolyte balance thing. Who knows.

Due to the Friday/Saturday/Sunday extreme heat warnings, all the real work was done early in the week.

Monday was basic stuff, on tight calves.

Tuesday I ran super early, the legs felt just fine and I ran a little fast here and there. Certainly not a structured speed workout, but a little zoom.

Wednesday was bitch hill, tight calves, super gross out. Like, hot pea soup.

Disgusting
I did my long run after an even longer work day on Thursday. Overall, it was ok. I had to call Eric for some extra food, as I became starving! It was just a tough long run. I was tired, it was hard. I did the planned mileage, suffered moderately, and sucked it up.

Also disgusting
I scooted out early Saturday(in just horrible humidity) for a short few with Ellie. The weather was just sopping and disgusting. It was really an unpleasant weekend.

Stats:
Miles: 35.1
Hottest day: 94, I did not run. Hottest run was 80, super humid, and with 2.3 million deer flies
Longest run: 13.4
Hiking miles- NONE TERRIBLE!!!!! (busy. work. stupid. no day off. AGAIN)

Signature

2 comments:

  1. I'd blame the sudden increase in humidity for your calf problems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My coach says humidity makes it hard for our legs to recover...that's my excuse :) Nice work getting those miles in. Weather sucks right about now! - Kim K.

    ReplyDelete