Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Bradbury Mountain Breaker, 2018 edition

So. The very day after Eric and I completed the Franconia Ridge Loop at a brisk pace, we had the Bradbury Breaker to deal with.

I fondly remembered this event as being my favorite of 2017. Despite the almost constant trip up the little mountain, it was so much fun that I had been looking forward to it for ages.

Since I have run basically not at all this summer, I had low expectations. Hiking 8.8 miles the previous day might not have been a great choice, but I had concluded that it simply would not make any difference. I had zero expectations (I think I ran about 20 miles in July. Total.)

We got up early, and discovered that it was the coolest day in a while! (this summer has been a boiling, humid, m***t, clusterfuck.) So it was like, 69 and 200% humidity (basically almost raining.) Regardless, it was certainly a lot cooler than most days have been.

My only mission for these races is to have fun, and FINISH, as I am determined to collect my Bad Ass sweatshirt in September, when we complete the 12 mile race. I figured that even if I had to walk to the finish, I would be stubborn enough to make it to the end, tired legs be damned. (Really, maybe I should set a more impressive goal. Like winning! But, nope.)

There is a good reason to go on a big hike the day before a *race*.
You have a built in excuse to suck! I woke up that morning feeling pretty decent, although a little creaky. I was certain that by mile 0.5 my legs would be laughing at me.

Eric and I arrived barely on time (yay! returning to my roots! we literally had 10 minutes!)

Pre race. So dry. So lovely. 
We immediately bumped into the woman who we ran the entire Bradbury 12 miles with last year (random) It was kind of dreary (perfect) And we all started and set off to conquer the hill. (winning)

Casual stroll to the start
We were off! And go figure. I felt just fine. I should avoid training more often!!
(also, the course begins on a really nice stretch of wide, flat, super safe dirt. So nice!)

Not a technical stretch of trail
SHOCKINGLY, I felt good enough in the beginning to break away from the big pack of runners. I remember from last year, that once you turn onto the Boundary Trail it is better not to be in a ton of traffic.

I spent the first couple miles of the race with a pack of dudes. For a while it seemed that they were going to make a move, and leave me to eat their dust (although it was too humid to be dusty.) While I'm not much of a trail runner, I do seem to have skills/bravery/stupidity on the downhills and I was able to rein some of them in.

BYE. See you in a mile or two though. 
I did feel fairly unimpressive up the actual mountain part of the course (which you hit twice.) It is more of a walk/slog for me (but I was happy not to have a 14 pound backpack!)

This does kind of suck, tbh
I felt exceedingly good for many miles of this race. I ran alone for a LONG time, which did not bother me at all. I enjoyed the peace and quiet, I was really confident in the course because I ran a ton at Bradbury last year, AND there are helpful signs if you go astray.

You will not get lost, thanks to Mr. T
With a mile to go (most of it straight DOWN) I got my hustle on. I was having a good time, and even though my feet were starting to hurt I kicked up the pace. The quicker you get done, the faster the feet can quit complaining.
I finished in 1:41 which is 6 or so minutes better than last year. Who knows why or how. (mostly because I just went for it. fuck training!)

THEN, I won my age group which was delightful and a nice surprise. I was awarded my favorite socks (darn tough!) and one of my favorite summer beers (Baxter Bootleg Fireworks)

I drank one right off. #health
Eric and I were both so sweaty that it looked like we had been swimming. Gross.

EWWWWW. We were much grosser than this pic would lead you to believe
We had a super fun time catching up with friends, talking about our real jobs and good adulting and how I won a chair at the last race and was not there to get it. Shit. (and we took no group pics. so dumb.)

So anyway. It was really a great day of running, and I loved it, and can not wait for the September race (which I have both no time and no intention of training for, hah!)

Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment