Thursday, July 12, 2018

Summer Goal #3: Race ALL the Bradbury Mt Races

Well. This is part 1 of 3 of this particular goal. (two more races at Bradbury before I can claim my "Badass" status!)

After a week of HIDEOUSLY SWELTERING HEAT AND HUMIDITY, the disgusting weather finally broke, and we got some relatively cool air. (relative is the word.) This was a relief, first of all because the weather SUCKED, and secondly, we had some "racing" to do!

The first race of the Bradbury series was last Sunday, and Eric and I arrived ready for the challenge.
Neither of us have ever done this first race before- the Scuffle? The shuffle? However, we both did a good amount of trail running/biking of the "other side of the road" at the park last year. Despite this being our first trip of the season, we basically knew what to expect.

As is often the case, June was not a month of serious training for me. (and let's be real, July will not be either!) After the whole marathon training winter, and a high mileage May (culminating in a 50k) rest and sloth was on the agenda. So yeah, I'm an unfit mess of a woman.

We managed to see a few friends before the start (Hi Jen! Michelle! Wade/Ward or whichever one is Jen's husband!) and then we were off.

The "other side" of Bradbury does not contain the mountain. What is has, instead, are miles of twisty, rooty trails. And little bouncy bridges. Lots of fun, especially if you are not trying to win (we were not.) The Bradlowski's made some bad choices while preparing for this event. We neglected to carry snacks (mildly dumb) or water (incredibly dumb) so as it turned out, there was some level of suffering.
Eric fell down. I did not. This is a complete reversal of our usual trail running adventures!

I certainly noticed my lack of fitness for a good part of the race. (and a real lack of trail running practice, the agility it requires takes more than a few minutes of racing to lock down....) But really, a tough day of trail running is much better than a hot, gross summer day of road running! Eric and I enjoyed running together (basically all alone) for about 4 of the 6 miles. If we hadn't been as confident in the excellent trail marking, we would have thought we were lost!

For whatever reason, I gained a second wind sometime during the final mile.  (or my legs finally woke up? who knows.) I was aided by a delightful downhill gravel path, and I managed to kick up a little speed (which was really quite fun!)

I finished feeling good (dripping, dripping sweat) and my time was 58 and change.
I can tell I am still secretly in road running mode, because I usually pay zero attention to my fun trail race times! (by August I will have mellowed out!)

OMG WINNING (but like, not)
Eric finished right behind me, and we took a sweaty selfie (as we always do) We also ate almost the whole jar of pickles that the post race snack station had. They were delicious.

#hot 
We then proceeded to hike around lugging heavy packs for a bit. With basically zero snacks, which was STILL a horrible plan!!

Prepared to climb Mt Everest, from the looks of things
So thus far, summer has been busy. Really busy. I am back in the zone of trying to hit 4 workouts a week (or some sort) and mostly failing (but I honestly blame the shitbag 96 degree weather for that.) (and also working well over 60 hours a week) I have been out on the bike a few times now, and I absolutely hate the summer traffic! OMG PEOPLE, please for the love of baby geezes get off your damn phones!!!!

Biking to the PUB!!! Shocking!
Road running has taken a backseat (thank heavens) to other activities but will pick back up in the fall, or whenever I feel like dealing with it again!

Eric and I have been to 2 of the Bethel/Mahoussuc trails "races" this summer. One was hot, so hot that I legit ran 10:43 pace and still hated it.
The next week was cooler, and I managed a 9:07 pace, but only due to shame. Shame is an incredible motivator!

Bethel trail Friday nights!
Oh, and I also went to another horse show, and kept the 2nd place streak alive for the first day! Then I blew it, by getting one 4th (SHAME, hahaha) and winning a couple classes! YAY!

Ohhhhhh AND a Tricolor ribbon!!!!
So, Stats:
Hottest day this summer: 96. Fucking 96.
Number of 2nd place ribbons: 2
Trail races that caused me to fall: 0 (thus far)
Longest bike ride: 19 which felt like 100
Longest run on the road: like, 5 which felt like 30
Longest trail run: 6 which felt like 6 because trail running is my jam in the summer
Current fitness: Excellent for riding horses, just dreadful for running


Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment