Wednesday, June 30, 2021

A crazy few weeks

Well! The past couple weeks have been nothing short of a whirlwind. 

I assumed, after "managing to run through Covid" last year, that it would be a breeze to continue on, as such, this year. You know what I forgot about? How the (very relative) lack of Covid (closures, anyway) makes TONS more work for me! Good, good, good for the business. Bad, bad, BAD for training. Insanely bad!

Two weeks ago I headed off to the first equine competition in 22 months. It was a big deal, was amazing to be back out, and was INSANE as I had a ton on my plate. Running was entirely out of the question, and I did not fret one bit. 

The following week, I was flying solo at home, as Eric was enjoying his first camping trip in at least two years. All of this would hardly have affected me, had I not managed to put up 90% of my yearly hay during that time. Thankfully, the weather was pretty cool, but it was ROUGH. I am a strong woman, but that sort of thing is not really a one woman job. 

Interestingly enough, lugging 700 plus bales of hay immediately triggered shin pain. I felt a little panic, knowing that for the past TWO years, shin pain has seriously messed up my summer plans. I was then forced to take several MORE days off, as I really know better than to run on angry shins. But WTF? Has it been hay lugging all along that has triggered the shin pain of death? I really have to wonder..... The timing makes it highly suspect, and I will be paying close attention to this in the future. 

Thankfully, at this point, the shins are feeling 100% better. The weather, which has been TERRIBLE (legit WELL over 90 for many days) is about to moderate. AND during this shit show, I was able to get in a 10 mile hike. (with my cousins! who got to visit!!!!!!)




I'm really not where I wanted to be mileage wise at this point. Life is certainly managing to get in the way, and I'm being flexible because I know this time won't last. 

And the thing is, after last year of having so few things to do EXCEPT run, I'm not complaining that I have things on my schedule! 

I know my super stupid busy days are going to continue to the weekend, and then we have hiking on the schedule. Next week looks promising to get in a few runs, and try to hit the restart button for the 167th time this year..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment