Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Pandemic running: Week one

So running last week was weird.

Everything in the world is completely weird right now. The virus, which was looming in the distance finally made its way to our county, and then the town next door. The first person I know in real life become (thankfully, mildly) ill. It's here. And it sucks.

We are absolutely social distancing. We have eliminated all human interactions other than the ones with my parents, who we had been interacting with daily anyway. (so we are all kind of screwed.)

We are trying to help the local economy by buying curbside pick up food (all restaurants have closed sit down service) and to-go beer (again, nobody allowed inside.)
But honestly, my job security is a bit uncertain at the moment, so we are mostly hunkering down and being frugal.

As far as running goes, I had a really decent week. My legs definitely took a turn for the better, and I had a couple breakthrough runs. I felt weird doing a few double digit runs (like... why..?) but running felt good, so I figured, why not....? If I had a marathon in a month I would be feeling happy. I know that there is a time in each training cycle when I feel the work paying off. This is that time.

Since it is already a new week (late post here), I must admit that I have had a couple days of feeling really exhausted and completely unmotivated to run. My job has been extremely complicated since this crisis began (not that I'm really complaining. I am not a health care worker. I realize my problems are actually REALLY fucking minor.) Basically, my schedule for the next 3/6 months is in chaos, I literally may have NO summer work, and I must adjust my plans daily, if not hourly as things in the world change. It has been exhausting.
I suppose that being in a state of almost constant stress is bound to take a toll, and I'm pretty sure the past couple days are a reflection of that. I'm extremely worried about my family members who ARE working in the medical field. The updates I have gotten are nothing short of terrifying (so, anyone who thinks this virus is "media hype" can literally fuck off. Bye.) I'm terrified about what this is going to do for the economy. I managed to survive the 2008 recession, but juuuust barely. While I am in much better place now, I will NEVER forget the financial terror of those years. I'm worried every day that I'm going to lose a friend or family member to this virus. (weirdly, I'm not having concerns about getting it myself. typical of my anxiety, I'm much more scared of watching suffering than having it. go figure.) So yeah, worry worry.

No matter what, I'm going to run tomorrow. Even though I am an unmotivated sloth, I know I will not regret heading out for a few miles.

I hope that everyone (anyone) who reads this is staying safe, and well. May the odds be ever in our favor.

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you luck and financial security in these tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope some of that two trillion dollars ends up in your pocket.

    ReplyDelete