Monday, January 20, 2020

Boston Training 2020: Week 5. The time when winter came, and it got cold

This was another perfectly fine week of work. Despite some cold and snowy weather, I continued along right on schedule.

On Monday, I headed out for  6 miler which ended up taking place in an unexpected storm. Things were just fine when I headed out, but drastically changed at the point when I was as far away as could be. It was instant ice- a HUGE mess, and I'm thankful that I met zero traffic on my return trip.

Covered in ice chunks
My mid week runs were all treadmill. At some point I did 6x800 at the infamous 7:36 pace that I seem to gravitate towards.

Saturday long run was done in some COLD (18 degree) weather, and in the aftermath of a decent sized snow storm on Thursday. The challenging footing (either glazed over road, or snow that was similar to beach sand) made things more challenging than one might wish for. However, I got the workout done, I stayed warm, and my legs cooperated.

It has been cold and snowy
Sunday's recovery run was in possibly even grosser conditions. Another good sized storm moved through overnight, and temps rose to about 33 during the day. When I headed out, the roads were covered with a remarkable amount of slush, slime and grossness. Lovely.

I was happy with this week of running and can notice that my legs are coming back. I'll be easing into some slightly higher mileage for February, with the big workouts scheduled for March.

I don't have any "training" races scheduled prior to Boston. I managed to spend all my race cash on Boston, and a fall race for 2020 so I plan to pass on other race options. If Boston doesn't yield a BQ for me, I'll make a plan change and shoot for a smaller, local marathon if I feel that is the correct choice (as in: I fail to BQ due to a shitty day, not a stupid injury or similar.)
The past two years I have run the Mid Winter Classic, and then Hyannis (marathon in '18, half in '19) It's nice to have supported long runs, but I don't mind passing this year to save some cash. I can make the training happen in my own.

Stats:
Total miles: 36.2
Long run: 14
Coldest Day: COLD. A high of 10 with bad wind chills. 
Snow: 9" Thursday, 7" Saturday  
Random: even though I have been running for a while, the thought of running two miles still seems almost unfathomable! Like, I'll drive two miles and my subconscious will say "a person could never run THIS far!!" Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment