Monday, October 14, 2019

Training for Marine Corps Marathon: Week 16

This should be the first taper week after. long, arduous summer of training. 

Since that didn't really happen, I'm looking at a marathon in 13 days while shaking my head a bit, and saying "what the hell is THIS!?" 
That being said, things are generally fine. 

What is fine:
-My leg is 100% pain free. I am healed.
-I had a very successful 1 hour 5 minute run on Thursday, with no ill effects. 
-I clearly am not overtrained! Yay
-I have succeeded in creatively training, and making lemonade out of lemons (as one does)

What could be better:
-Well, I could be a good bit more fit.
-Like, a great great deal more fit.

Last week was another good one, with a lot more running than I have been able to do. If this marathon was in 8 weeks, or even 6, I would be cautiously optimistic. 
But it is in 13 days. SO I AM VERY OPTIMISTIC. Yes I am.

I'm optimistic that I will finish.
I am optimistic about running each mile the way it needs to be run. 
I am cheerfully optimistic about having a solid adventure.
I am certainly optimistic about running a new course in a city that I really enjoy. 

Seven years ago me would already be re-injured trying to pull off a late in the game 20 miler. Seven years ago me would also be pretty stressed out, and probably a touch negative about the way this training cycle played out. Actually, seven years ago me would be losing her shit. 
Present day me seems to have learned some lessons, both in rolling with the punches, and in being more chill. Because I have accepted where I am at. Total peace with it. 
No, it's not ideal conditions for a BQ. But, I am now healthy and have created a good fitness base for winter training. 
I am about to run a race that many seem to consider one of the best, and this is exciting! Perhaps I will be able to enjoy it a bit more, with no real possibility of speed records on the horizon. 

So, what did I do last week?

Tuesday: 
30 minute run
30 minute bike

Thursday:
1:05 run
2 hour bike

Saturday:
40 minute run
30 minute bike

Sunday:
20 minute run
20 minute bike 

No comments:

Post a Comment