Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Training for Marine Corps Marathon: Week 11

Somehow, I have no recollection of last weeks training.

From what I recall (foggily) It was another nice, cool week of training and my calf/shin was reasonably cooperative. I managed to do all my workouts and fit in a small hike.

I shall now refer to Strava.

OK right. It was a good week!

I started things off on Monday with a treadmill run because it was a cold, rainy mess. Normally, this would REALLY not be a good way to begin the week (I am REALLY over the treadmill) but it was actually a solid 5 miler.

I did 6x800 for probably the 300th time this season. Every time I do this workout, I have plans to up the length of the repeat the following week. THEN, something happens to keep me from doing that. So anyway, they were fine, and hopefully this week does not such and I can run some damn mile repeats.

I ran a 15+ long run on a gorgeous day. 68 degrees, dry, sunny and wind. Doesn't get better, and the whole run was very solid.

Massive post run beer, haha
We did an 8 mile power hike on Saturday. This was NOT counted as a run, even though we ran some of it. A rugged 3500+ of elevation too. It was our first time this season in the Northern Presis, and they never disappoint.

Heyyyyyy
Sunday was another gorgeous day, and I finished the week up with a pretty casual 10 miler.

So it was a decent week. The next couple are going to be really challenging. Work is insane, I mean INSANE. (like, 10-11 hour days 6 days a week and then Finals, which is basically a week long.)
I'm pretty determined to get the work done. Marathon time is drawing near, and I certainly can not afford another significant break at this point. (and then, I'm traveling early October... so lots of potential pitfalls. noooooooo!!!!)
The cooler weather is making me feel much more like myself. (and at the same time, fills me with dread because it is going to suck when it is suddenly 85 again!)
And as far as my calf goes.... It is no worse. It hates it when I am on my feet teaching for hours at a time, but it needs to suck it. I literally have no time to listen to its bitching.

Boston registration is this week. I'm looking forward to seeing what the cut off times are, after the qualification standards became tougher this year. Clearly, I would love to mosey to DC and low key (on low key training, haha) BQ. I think the next two weeks will be really telling in whether or not that is a reasonable goal. I have 9+ minutes in hand for 2020, so I am confident that I'll be lining up on April 20th.

Stats:
Miles: 38
Hottest day: Not hot at all. No hot days. Pretty chilly. 
Longest run: 15+
Hiking miles- 7.9

1 comment: